Life goes by
May 22nd, 2006

And so a new week begins. It’s amazing how quickly life goes by. Today we celebrated my oldest son’s 20th birthday. It seems like just the other day we were bringing him home from the hospital. I’m bringing this up because if you don’t jump on the life train, you’ll wake up one day to find it has passed you by. :wtf:
I chatted tonight over birthday cake with my aunt’s hubby. He has stories in his head, and knowing him as I do, I bet they are really good unique stories. I told him he just needed to write. He said he didn’t know how to structure a story and that he had research to do. I told him, just write, get into the habit. Every time he had a reason not to write my response was, just write, all of the other stuff will come to you. If he doesn’t start soon he will be another person with a great story left untold.
Which brings me to my next point. I blog hop every once in awhile and it amazes me how many unpublished writers there are out there that talk about writing yet don’t actually do it. They have an excuse, or life interruptus or they get sick, or it’s always something. It’s also the reason they are not published. You have to have a story to sell to get THE CALL.
This last month for me has been grueling. I finished up revisions for GGGB, then received the copy edits which I sent back last week, and I have totally had to tear apart SKIN and almost start writing from scratch. I have to turn this book in, in less then 10 days. I’m only half way there. I have been working into the wee hours of the morning and yes, tonight I was not going to give up making my son his favorite meal, chicken parmesan, and I wasn’t not going to have the family over to celebrate. Some things you just don’t give up, because those things you can’t recapture. I can never go back and recelebrate my son’s 20th birthday. So knowing that, I was up until 4 a.m. this morning working on my story. I also asked number two daughter to bake his cake. 😉
Tomorrow will be another full day and night of writing. I also have a phone meeting in the afternoon with my Pocket publicist, and thanks to my friend Josie Brown, I have intelligent questions to ask.
The point I’m making and this is coming from the world’s biggest procrastinator, is, just do it. No one else is going to do it for you, and if life happens? work around it. Make it up, prepare, and just get it done. If I can, I know you can.
With that, I have some good news to share a little later this week. :evil2:
Write on,

7 comments to “Life goes by”

1. Crystal*
    May 22nd, 2006 at 7:02 pm · Link

You are so incredibly right! But I honestly become so aggravated when would-be writers don’t invest themselves in the writing and then wonder why they’re not going anywhere. :useyourhead:
    Can’t wait for the good news!
    Grins*

2. Jan
    May 23rd, 2006 at 8:37 am · Link

I couldn’t have said it better, GF. Serious writers dig in and get it done. That said, I have to get my aitc this week and finish my book. Feels good to know I’ll make my goal for that first draft, though that’s the first of many goals. 😉

3. May
    May 23rd, 2006 at 9:46 am · Link

Great advice, Karin!

I made myself delete the Procrastination category off my blog.

4. Michelle Diener
    May 23rd, 2006 at 11:30 am · Link

Oh so true. Life interupts all the time. My son was sick yesterday and my laptop died today. I’m still going to find a way to write, because I intend finishing my book this week. Sometimes you’ve got to buckle down and take the pain, other times, like your son’s birthday, you’ve got let writing take a back seat, but you have to make that time up somewhere or you’re going nowhere.

May 23rd, 2006 at 1:34 pm · Link

lol May. Just looking at that P word can make you want to P.
    Jan, you’ve been doing great with your latest wip.
    Crystal, what do you say we go around to all of the writers who don’t, and whip them with a wet noodle?
    Michelle, ah, the little ones can be so demanding. Hell what am I saying, so can the big ones! Stay focused.

6. Edie Ramer
    May 24th, 2006 at 9:24 am · Link

So true, so true, so true. I know talented people who don’t write and use family and life as an excuse. When they tell me this I think of Allison, and I think, “You just don’t want it enough.” And if they don’t want it enough, they’re not going to get it.

May 25th, 2006 at 6:53 pm · Link