Congrats to those who made it to the third round. You have until midnight Friday to post your third line. For anyone who misses the deadline, you are out, and we’ll be moving forward with the entries that do post. Good luck! and I hope I didn’t screw up.
1. I could not believe my good fortune. A car pulled away just as I was within twenty feet of it and I was only one block from the address I was seeking.
2. “Great Odin, I demand retribution against this beast!” Freyja gestured toward the dark shiny mass writhing before a large fiery hearth, twisting and turning, as it tried to find a way to escape its bonds.
3. I haven’t had sex with my husband in almost four months. And frankly, I don’t miss it.
4. Somewhere between Heaven and Hell Nick Winters decided to live. There was something about lying in a pool of his own blood that made him think God wasn’t finished with him yet.
5. Bubble bath made terrible camouflage.
Myra St. James tilted her legs, trying to get the disappearing bubbles to better cover her lower half.
6. She really had to stop thinking about screwing her boss. Being at a sex toy party wasn’t helping.
7. “Hell, I’ve got kids myself, Deborah, so I can see how something like this can happen—what with you being a single momma and all. It’s a hectic, overwhelming day and then the kid starts to whine.”
8. I am justice. I am vengeance.
9. Have you ever had one of those “best sex you could ever imagine” dreams? You think you’re hearing angels on high, singing the Hallelujah Chorus and sounding their trumpets for you just as you are about to have the most incredible orgasm of your life.
10. Jane Ryan gently placed the phone on the counter, tidied her already neat hair, and screamed at the top of her lungs, “I am the rock between the fruit loops.” Her anger rose like an imminent eruption of Mount St. Helens.
11. The hot black coffee burned as it soaked through Cindy’s business casual Docker slacks.
“Excuse me,” said a deep baritone voice.
12. Jace Hill held on for dear life. Shackled to a steel pole, his arms screamed a protest as he was jerked sideways again.
13. “So, are you ready for some wild sex?” Julia leaned forward, elbows on her knees, understanding for the first time the true meaning of the term ‘no brainer’.
14.I taste their magic in the air. I came here to get away from them.
15. I killed myself for Anton Romanekâ€“literally. Not out of loveâ€“out of necessity.
16. Alcohol doesn’t take away the pain of career rejection, but it does dull it a bit. I shift on my cushy green couch and take a sip of my liquid tropical paradise, pretending to listen to the woman beside me.
17. Vayden,Wyo. was not a place Laura wanted to call home. A controlling husband and two needful teenagers had left her feeling trapped.
18. Two things hit Ryan the second he stepped into the kitchen-someone had cleaned the place up, and there was a strange half naked woman smacking the hell out of his coffee maker. The fact that she didn’t belong there would have registered if he hadn’t been too busy staring at the red panties hugging her ass like a second skin.
19. Tony Solomon did not plan to die that day. No way in hell was he going to go up that thing.
20. He marveled over her long beautiful legs while he licked his lips before saying to her, “Nice legs, what time do they open?”
Teresa wasn’t surprised as she thanked him for the mojito, walking away she realized it could have been a lot worse.
21. The second his century long reprieve ended, the Devil set out to destroy his soul again. Unfortunately the Evil One had the advantage because Derek Ramsey’s soul tended to gravitate to the road to perdition.
22. She should have kept running. Lia Brown slammed the door of her ancient Nova a little harder than was necessary, cringed, and shot a glance over her shoulder.
23. I sell time. I’ll do just about anything for just about anybody.
24. Every woman considered stealing a horse and running away on her wedding day, didn’t she? Isabel of Thornwyck glanced around at the guests, hoping there was still time for a miracle.
25. Dani Perez stepped away from the revolving door and walked toward the hotel bar, her four-inch heels clattering like a “Riverdance” audition on the black marble floor. The desk clerk glanced up with a knowing smile.
26. I’m damned if I’ll end up just another body pushed off this cursed bridge! After hours of bloody hand and combat fighting, Duncan, first Viscount Huntingdale, was on his knees on that bridge with a ball shot in his leg, an empty musket and outnumbered four to one.
27. She had wondered how long it would take before she could actually hear them speaking to each other…her mother had warned her eventually the lesions would dig deep enough, grind themselves so far in her brain that it would happen.
Now it had…her ears rang with the deep chatter of their kind, the vampires, and it nearly drove her crazy.
28. I believe “long” and “term” are the two worst four letter words out there, at least when it comes to relationships. Being committed for the long haul is fine, if you’re insane; if you’re not, why weigh yourself down with one anchor of a man?
29. She couldn’t run anymore. The rocks and stones that flanked the Scottish coastline could twist an unwary ankle, or break a foolish neck.
30. Trustâ€“in the single breath it took to speak the word, one could be betrayed.
With alert trepidation, Griffin Vaughan awaited the return of his page from the enemy’s lair.
31. After all this time, it was finally happeningâ€“that quiet, maddening tumble into insanity. Annie closed her eyes, fully expecting that when she opened them, the man sitting at her kitchen tableâ€“the man who looked like Joel, but couldn’t be Joelâ€“would be gone.
32. At the crack of dawn, my nine year old niece Sophie decided to forego the toilet and poop in her pajamas while standing in the middle of the upstairs hall. Vaguely acknowledging her predicament (size10 Barbie panties full of a walloping load of crap) she kicked off her PJ bottoms and underwear, stepped into the poop and proceeded to clomp down the hall toward her mother’s bedroom, leaving a trail of fecal footprints across the new, beige Berber.
33. “Fuck you,” Susan Deluca screeched, lobbing her favorite Jimmy Choo pump at her soon-to-be-ex husband’s Lexus. It bounced against the car door with a satisfying ‘thunk’ that brought the vehicle to a jerky stop and prompted Dale to lower the window.
34. Men lie. As a dues-paying member of the species, House depended on this fact, subscribed to itâ€“gloried in it.
1. 35. Where did I go right? The thought flitted through Carly’s head as she tunneled under her covers to look at Owen’s fabulous backside just one more
36. There comes, in everyone’s life, a defining moment, where something so monumental happens that it will irrevocably alter your life foreverâ€“for Emeline Baxter, this was one of those times. She had been about to snuggle under the covers of her very large, miserably empty bed when the sound first pierced the quiet night.
37. Special Agent Jason McCall’s life fell apart the day he found out that the love of his life was not, in fact, a lesbian. And now there was a red faced bureacrat inches away from his face, screaming at the top of his lungs, “How the fuck could you not realize the chick you’ve been shackin’ up with for the last 2 years was a goddamn spy?”
38. The floor descended at least twenty feet. Surrounded by utter blackness, Lisa Maxwell tipped her head and momentarily wondered what the heck she’d gotten herself into.
39. “Wearing red to their mother’s wake.” A woman’s voice behind Eli Webster sharpened with disapprovalâ€“and was that a hint of envy he heard?
40. The alley stretched ahead, dark and ominous…yet Antoinette moved forward, one deliberate step after another. Perspiration beaded on her upper lip and she ran a hand across her face to wipe it away before the saltiness slipped unwelcome to the corners of her mouth.