Round 9!
August 7th, 2006

If this is getting nerve wracking for me I can’t imagine how nerve wracking it must be for all of you. I was sorry to see a couple of my favorites go this week. I’ve decided for the judging of the final five to ask 5 of the judges who have already judged to each make their picks. The five entries with the most votes will go on to Lauren. That way we’ll get a solid quorum of the village instead of the opinion of one.
So without further adieu here are the 10 who made it to Round 9. You have until midnight this Friday to add your final line.
Good luck, ladies.

1. “So, are you ready for some wild sex?”
Julia leaned forward, elbows on her knees, understanding for the first time the true meaning of the term ‘no brainer’.
He spoke with a hint of amusement, sprawled low in the comfortable leather chair in a dark corner of the hotel bar, his head back and eyes closed, whiskey glass held loosely in his grip.
With his tawny hair, he looked like a lion, in control of his power and vaguely amused by the rest of the world.
Julia felt a throb deep between her legs, an ache in her nipples, and he hadn’t touched her yet. She squirmed in the slippery leather chair and arched her back slightly, suddenly breathless.
“Oh, I’m ready.”
David Keller went from being completely relaxed to fully alert in a heart beat; in just the time it took the woman opposite him to utter that one husky little sentence.
2. “Hell, I’ve got kids myself, Deborah, so I can see how something like this can happen—what with you being a single momma and all. It’s a hectic, overwhelming day and then the kid starts to whine.” Stuart Albright, Jamesville’s chief of police, leaned forward in his wood chair, bracing beefy forearms against the scarred surface of the interrogation table.
He was so close now Deborah could smell the hint of onions on his breath, hear the smoke-raspy catch to his breathing. She drew back, retreating until the wood slats of her chair pressed hard against her spine, trying to think past the exhaustion, past the icy bite of fear.
“It’s all about the little things, isn’t it,” Albright continued, “he wants pizza instead of peas for dinner, or maybe he just won’t go to bed—the point is he starts to whine. Whine. Whine.
3. I am justice.
I am vengeance.
Is there any difference?
The whimpers, the cries—those I could have ignored. Along Telegraph Avenue, where I live and work, the façade of students, tourists, and alt-trendy shops never quite hides the muck of the city. If you want to see it, the pain and squalor are evident in the drug litter kicked to the gutters and in the stench of every urine-coated doorway. If you want to see it.
Personally, I prefer to ignore it.
4. I believe “long” and “term” are the two worst four letter words out there, at least when it comes to relationships. Being committed for the long haul is fine: if you’re insane; if you’re not, why weigh yourself down with one anchor of a man?
My best friend Maggie, a hopeless romantic, is convinced that it’s possible to find one man and settle down for the rest of your life. After seeing how her last relationship ended, I agree with her: she’s hopeless.
Besides, monogamy isn’t natural: a lot of animals kill their mates after sex, which makes a lot of sense to me. I’ve never killed a guy (although some of them have richly deserved it), but I’ve also never spent more than two months with one, and I usually kick them to the curb far earlier than that. A few times, I only stayed with the guy for a few days: if he’s already boring me at that point, I can’t see how it’s going to get better.
Most guys just seem so stagnant, so stuck in their ways, like how my dad was: home at five o’clock, “Gimme a beer, Noreen!”, dinner must be on the table by six or “Where’s the food, Noreen?”, then an evening in front of the television with a cigar and a few more beers.
5. The alley stretched ahead, dark and ominous…yet Antoinette moved forward, one deliberate step after another. Perspiration beaded on her upper lip and she ran a hand across her face to wipe it away before the saltiness slipped unwelcome to the corners of her mouth.
Damn this heat.
“Found it yet?” Nici’s voice buzzed through the comms headset attached to her ear.
“No,” she whispered.
“Intel just in has him entering a nightclub on the other side of town about twenty minutes ago.”
After following his trail across three states, she’d hate to lose it now.
6. She really had to stop thinking about screwing her boss.
Being at a sex toy party wasn’t helping.
Celia St. John sipped at an ironically virginal strawberry daiquiri while around her, women giggled and squealed over the array of adult playthings – everything from lotions, oils and powders to vibrators and dildos. Each item she selected only fueled her fantasies about Tom McMillian.
Damn it, why couldn’t she get the man out of her head?
She’d purchased a bottle of the scented warming body lotion and imagined his hands rubbing it into her skin.
She’d tested flavored body powders . . . and envisioned her tongue lifting the pink crystals from his flat stomach.
And the lifelike vibrator?
7. Men lie.
As a dues-paying member of the species, House depended on this fact, subscribed to it—gloried in it.
They lie about who they are, what they do, and how much liquor they can handle. About their women, their prowess, their dicks. How big, how long, how thick, and how much coochie it’s conquered on the playing field.
But just this once, on this very special occasion, House discovered his friends had not lied to him.
Leyla Cheval was every bit as hauntingly beautiful as they’d claimed.
She wore wire-rimmed glasses, ruddy-red lipstick, and she’d come to save him from sin.

8. I killed myself for Anton Romanek–literally.
Not out of love—out of necessity. I had ulterior motives, other reasons. An Ancient Greek philosopher had said he could move the world, if only he had a big enough lever and a place to stand; like that ancient philosopher, I was trying to move the world, with the country of Toural as my place to stand, and Drakonis as my lever.
Drakonis and Anton Romanek were one and the same–which was hardly a secret. He was the most powerful, the most intelligent, and the most dangerous supervillain in the world. I wanted to bring superheroism to an end.
All my hard work over the last three years would have gone to waste if I had not rescued him from Hell.
9. After all this time, it was finally happening–that quiet, maddening tumble into insanity.
Annie closed her eyes, fully expecting that when she opened them, the man sitting at her kitchen table–the man who looked like Joel, but couldn’t be Joel–would be gone.
Unfortunately, when she looked again, he was still there. Joel with hair as dark as sin and eyes of the devil. Eyes that were watching her with a mixture of amusement and sadness.
“What are you doing here?” she whispered, curling her fingers around the edge of the counter so she wouldn’t fall over. She had to be seeing things, because this really wasn’t happening.
Joel DeLuca wasn’t sitting in her kitchen, because…
10. Somewhere between Heaven and Hell, Nick Winters decided to live. There was something about lying in a pool of his own blood that made him think God wasn’t finished with him yet. Maybe it was the floating sensation of hanging on then letting go, or the woman.
Nick had pulled her from the wreckage and now, lying on the soaked ground, he watched as both cars disappeared into the Cumberland River below.
Blood filled his right eye as the scene blurred, the storm a chaotic buzzing. Nick reached for her hand as labored breaths merged and formed, linking two spirits, while she beckoned him to come and play.
“Am I dying?” she gasped, dispelling the image of a far more beautiful world and slamming him back into his pain-soaked body.

31 comments to “Round 9!”

1. Rhonda
    August 7th, 2006 at 6:18 pm · Link

I was happy to make it as far as I did…I can’t wait to enter the next time. Good luck to those still left!

2. Kristi
    August 7th, 2006 at 8:01 pm · Link

I’m out. I’m bummed! But like Rhonda I’m happy to have made it as far as I did…Thanks, Karin!! I’ll be back in January.

Good luck, everyone!

August 7th, 2006 at 8:32 pm · Link

🙁 I’m sooorrreeeeee!! I’m bummed too.

4. Sharon
    August 8th, 2006 at 8:41 am · Link

After all this time, it was finally happening”“that quiet, maddening tumble into insanity.

Annie closed her eyes, fully expecting that when she opened them, the man sitting at her kitchen table”“the man who looked like Joel, but couldn’t be Joel”“would be gone.

“What are you doing here?” she whispered, curling her fingers around the edge of the counter so she wouldn’t fall over. She had to be seeing things, because this really wasn’t happening.

Joel DeLuca wasn’t sitting in her kitchen, because…

Because Joel DeLuca was dead.

5. Heather W
    August 8th, 2006 at 11:19 am · Link

I believe “long” and “term” are the two worst four letter words out there, at least when it comes to relationships. Being committed for the long haul is fine: if you’re insane; if you’re not, why weigh yourself down with one anchor of a man?

Most guys just seem so stagnant, so stuck in their ways, like how my dad was: home at five o’clock, “Gimme a beer, Noreen!”, dinner must be on the table by six or “Where’s the food, Noreen?”, then an evening in front of the television with a cigar and a few more beers.

Of course, I know now that my dad was both a jerk and a raging alcoholic, but as a kid all I saw was ‘people who do the same old thing every day are dull’, and it filled me with a horror of being stuck with one person forever.

6. May
    August 8th, 2006 at 12:16 pm · Link

I don’t know whether to be sad or happy that I’m out–this past few weeks drove me nuts because I couldn’t write, and every Monday I was reminded I couldn’t rewrite the beginning. LOL.

Anyway, good luck to everybody’s still in the contest!

August 8th, 2006 at 1:38 pm · Link

May, I was sorry to see your entry go. I know what you mean though about the past weeks driving you nuts. I had a hard time posting this last round. I think next week is going to be harder. I have an emotional investent in you all. I want everyone to get that read, so it’s very difficult to see friends not get that chance–this time. January will come soon enough!

8. May
    August 8th, 2006 at 1:51 pm · Link

Thank you Karin, especially for the time you’ve put into the contest. But, you know, it really felt good to make the change to the scene that I’ve been wanting to make. That’s me, inveterate rewriter extraordinaire.

9. Tracey
    August 8th, 2006 at 6:09 pm · Link

THE alley stretched ahead, dark and ominous…yet Antoinette moved forward, one deliberate step after another. Perspiration beading on her upper lip, she ran a hand across her face to wipe it away before the saltiness slipped unwelcome to the corners of her mouth.

Damn this heat.

Sweat trickled down her back, robbing her of more precious moisture and she tugged the damp t-shirt away from her sticky skin. “Found it yet?” Nici’s voice buzzed through the comms headset attached to her ear.

“No,” she whispered.

“Intel just in has him entering a nightclub on the other side of town about twenty minutes ago,” Nici said.

After following his trail across three states, she’d hate to lose it now.

“We’re running out of time,” she said looking up at the dark starless sky, or at least the strip of it she could see between the impoverished Liberty City buildings.

10. Tracey
    August 8th, 2006 at 6:14 pm · Link

I shook as I entered my lines this time. I can’t believe I have made it this far after the dramas we had at the beginning (thanks again for your patience then Karin). Thank you so much for the oppurtunity, Karin. But the down side is I see some of my favorites drop off 🙁

Tracey

11. Linda
    August 8th, 2006 at 7:32 pm · Link

She really had to stop thinking about screwing her boss.

Being at a sex toy party wasn’t helping.

Celia St. John sipped at an ironically virginal strawberry daiquiri while around her, women giggled and squealed over the array of adult playthings ““ everything from lotions, oils and powders to vibrators and dildos. Each item she selected only fueled her fantasies about Tom McMillian.

Damn it, why couldn’t she get the man out of her head?

And the lifelike vibrator? Holding it, she’d wondered what he looked like in comparison.

{Thanks so much for this contest, Karin! I can’t believe I’m still in — I kept expecting to be out. Everyone’s lines were so good! I wanted to read more of all of them. And, Tracey, I was nervous posting mine, too!)

12. April O.
    August 8th, 2006 at 9:37 pm · Link

I’m sad and relieved at the same time. I’m telling everybody I know to read and watch for the outcome and to enter in January. Thanks, Karin.

August 8th, 2006 at 10:16 pm · Link

He shifted his leg and felt the fires of hell, but leaning into her faint, whispered breath he managed, “You gotta stay with me…help will come.”

Gathering her close, he blinked against the rain’s gray lashing, while his sins paraded across the lake, some bold and some hidden beneath layers of deception.

August 8th, 2006 at 10:22 pm · Link

Karin, my last line (8) got cut from your post. I triple-counted and there’s 9 here. lol. Also, I’m so grateful to be in the running. It’s a wonderful thing you’re doing. I wish all my comrades well too! There’s some major talent going on!

August 8th, 2006 at 11:56 pm · Link

LaDonna I have been known to clip a line or two. Grr, sorry.
    April, sorry to see you go this week, but glad you’re hanging around to see who the 5 finalists will be.
    Tracey, you’re doing good, girl. Keep those lines coming.
    Linda, good luck. Love your lines btw.

16. Theresa
    August 9th, 2006 at 8:15 am · Link

“Hell, I’ve got kids myself, Deborah, so I can see how something like this can happen””what with you being a single momma and all. It’s a hectic, overwhelming day and then the kid starts to whine.” Stuart Albright, Jamesville’s chief of police, leaned forward in his wood chair, bracing beefy forearms against the scarred surface of the interrogation table.

“It’s all about the little things, isn’t it,” Albright continued, “he wants pizza instead of peas for dinner, or maybe he just won’t go to bed””the point is he starts to whine. Whine. Whine. Whine.”

17. Theresa
    August 9th, 2006 at 2:30 pm · Link

I wanted to add my thanks to the others for the time and attention you’ve put into this contest, Karin. I wanted to thank your judges as well. It must be really difficult and frustating having to cut out entries like they are doing.

I am so going to miss it when it over. This is the first place I check in the morning and the last at night.

I’m really looking forward to throwing the new WIP’s first line into your next contest. January can’t come soon enough.

August 9th, 2006 at 2:53 pm · Link

Great idea, Sandra. Everyone hear that? Check in with us. And of course if one or more of the finlaist sell you will hear it hear first!
    Theresa, thank you for the thank you. Don’t think for a minute you need to not stop by after this contest is over. I have another different one planned for Sept, plus I do get a bit chatty here. I welcome the coversation.

19. Sandra Barkevich
    August 9th, 2006 at 11:56 am · Link

This is sooooo exciting! These last lines, like so many in the past weeks, are fantastic! A few of my faves are still in it. Can’t wait to try again in January!

Good Luck Everyone!

Karin, it would be cool to do a “Where are they now” piece on the contestants, down the road. There were some great stories here and I would be the first in line to purchase any one of them if they sold sometime.

Sandy 🙂

August 9th, 2006 at 3:23 pm · Link

I need to post a correction to last line, guys. Yep, figured it could happen, just didn’t expect I’d win that particular prize! Sorry for the extra traffic, Karin! And I feel your pain, Tracey and Linda. Hands shaking? Naw!

August 9th, 2006 at 3:54 pm · Link

Somewhere between Heaven and Hell, Nick Winters decided to live. There was something about lying in a pool of his own blood that made him think God wasn’t finished with him yet. Maybe it was the floating sensation of hanging on then getting go, or the woman.

Gathering her close, he blinked against the rain’s gray lashing, while his sins paraded across the river, some bold and some hidden beneath layers of deception.

22. Theresa
    August 9th, 2006 at 5:29 pm · Link

lol- Karin, believe me, I’m planning on visiting your blog a couple of time a day, even after the contest ends. Just maybe not the hundred times a day I’ve been doing since it started. (grin)

Theresa

23. Michelle Diener
    August 10th, 2006 at 6:08 am · Link

“So, are you ready for some wild sex?”

“Oh, I’m ready.”

***

He’d heard her approaching, knowing it wasn’t the tired, limping tread of the waitress but rather the determined, feminine tread of someone who knew where she was going.

——-
    I’d like to add my thanks, Karin. This has been so much fun. I am so delighted to be in Round 9 and I wish everyone luck. It’s been a nail-biting couple of months 🙂

24. Cece
    August 10th, 2006 at 12:58 pm · Link

Count me in on wanting updates! LOL

😀

25. Heather W
    August 10th, 2006 at 4:50 pm · Link

I agree with the idea of posting updates. I’m thrilled beyond belief to still be in at this late stage, and I’d love to know what happens to everyone else! 🙂

Heather

26. Poppy
    August 10th, 2006 at 9:44 pm · Link

I am justice.

I am vengeance.

Is there any difference?

The whimpers, the cries””those I could have ignored. Along Telegraph Avenue, where I live and work, the façade of students, tourists, and alt-trendy shops never quite hides the muck of the city. If you want to see it, the pain and squalor are evident in the drug litter kicked to the gutters and in the stench of every urine-coated doorway. If you want to see it.

Personally, I prefer to ignore it.

And perhaps if I were normal””a sane, ordinary twenty-two-year-old, hurrying to class, wrapped up in thoughts of dorm life, young-whatever politics, or the whims of professorial opinion””I would succeed.

27. raine
    August 11th, 2006 at 2:41 am · Link

Men lie.

As a dues-paying member of the species, House depended on this fact, subscribed to it””gloried in it.

Leyla Cheval was every bit as hauntingly beautiful as they’d claimed.

So naturally he hardened the moment he saw her, determined to have her and offer as much of his salvation as she could swallow.

28. Charlene Conlon
    August 12th, 2006 at 4:09 pm · Link

Hello–I know I missed the deadline, but we had major power outages in our area, and I couldn’t post. I am putting in my last line anyway, hoping for clemency.

I killed myself for Anton Romanek”“literally.

Not out of love””out of necessity. I had ulterior motives, other reasons. An Ancient Greek philosopher had said he could move the world, if only he had a big enough lever and a place to stand; like that ancient philosopher, I was trying to move the world, with the country of Toural as my place to stand, and Drakonis as my lever.

Drakonis and Anton Romanek were one and the same”“which was hardly a secret. He was the most powerful, the most intelligent, and the most dangerous supervillain in the world. I wanted to bring superheroism to an end.

If this were a movie, and not a memoir, it would begin with this prologue scrolling up the screen in large letters:

To begin with, there were the Heroes.

29. Charlene Conlon
    August 12th, 2006 at 4:12 pm · Link

Anyway, if I’m out, I’m out. I’ll check back to hear your ruling.

August 13th, 2006 at 6:00 pm · Link

Charlene, I’m so sorry you had difficulties. I would love to grant clemency, but to be fair to all, we have to stick to the rules. I’m sorry.

31. Charlene Conlon
    August 13th, 2006 at 8:15 pm · Link

I understand. I had several days in which to post before the power went, and I didn’t. Oh, well.