Ooops
August 15th, 2006
Okay, so I forgot some vital info on the earlier post. I’ve had a busy day today.  Not only did I finally clear my office of leftover National clutter and pay bills, not household bills but author bills, promo and such, argh! But I started my blog for this Friday at Murder She Writes. The title? What is your Message?, but then lo and behold! the muse struck and I nailed a chapter on my current wip. What’s a writer to do but stroke the muse.
So what I forgot to mention was the format for the final entries should be standard ms format.  25 lines per page with either Courier or Times, and y’all know you can get more bang for your buck with Times.  Your cover letter should be single spaced, and make it personal.  Lauren is a person too, and while she appreciates professionalism she also likes to see personality.  So make it yours.
Another thing I wanted to ask y’all is, what do you think I need to change, if anything, for the next round in January? I think I ironed out quite a few wrinkles as I went, but anyone have a ground breaking suggestion?  I’m thinking of making it 100 entries this time, and culling 10 a week.  That way more of you get the chance to catch Hilary’s eye.
That’s all for now. Take care and write on.

14 comments to “Ooops”

1. raine
    August 16th, 2006 at 2:30 am · Link

“…anyone have a ground breaking suggestion?”

Not a one.
    I thought the whole thing was handled superbly, considering the number of entries, etc.

You’re going for 100??! :-O
    I’ll send aspirin…

2. Tracey
    August 16th, 2006 at 5:34 am · Link

You are so generous – and I agree with Raine, everything was fabulous. You made it all go smoothly and I felt really special to be part of it. I think this is the most exciting competition I have ever entered. Karin your a star.

3. Tracey
    August 16th, 2006 at 5:37 am · Link

PS – thank you to the judges – they were very generous too.

August 16th, 2006 at 8:34 am · Link

Karin, the only question that comes to mind is eligibility. This contest was a blast! So, will the finalists be able to play again? lol. 100 entries sounds yummy too! There were so many awesome ones. I still want to know what happens. And, oh, another question…different entries for the new one, right? Think that’s all. And how wonderful your muse struck hard. You did the right thing by listening. She’ll hang around now!

5. Theresa
    August 17th, 2006 at 12:12 am · Link

Karin,

I love the idea of having a 100 first lines. Of course, I wish it would last longer– so I wouldn’t mind sticking with the five cuts a week and streatching the contest out.

But I realize how much work this was for both you and your judges, and I imagine a contest running twice as long would be too much. I’m sure looking forward to the next one though.

August 17th, 2006 at 1:29 am · Link

LaDonna, I think yes to your question regarding can the finalist enter agian. Not the same entries but something new.
    Theresa, I’ll consider culling 5 of 100 each week. But it’s a lot of reading for my judges. Especialy in the beginning. I won’t rule it out though.
    Tracey, the judges were great, if not a bit cranky. Without fail each one said how hard it was for them when they turned in thier picks.
    Raine, I may take you up on the aspirn if I decide to go with 100 entries.

7. May
    August 17th, 2006 at 7:52 am · Link

Maybe if you do go with 100, you could cull 10 each week for the first few weeks, and then move onto 5 for the remaining rounds?

Karin, if you do 100 entries, I think we’ll take turns sending care packages to you. 😀 There isn’t a thing I’d change about the contest.

Everybody’s said this before, but it bears repeating: It was a great contest, and thanks!

August 17th, 2006 at 2:11 pm · Link

Thank you, May. I think I’ve decided to go with 75 entries and cull 5 a week. Still ending up with a final five.
    It really wasn’t that much work. My biggest problem was getting attached to so many entries. 🙂

9. Theresa
    August 18th, 2006 at 1:23 am · Link

That’s a great compromise Karin.

It’s just so much fun watching the lines build and form an actual opening. It’s been one of the things I looked foreward to each day, logging on to see who’d posted more of their opening–trying to guess where the lines were going.

10. Cece
    August 21st, 2006 at 2:03 pm · Link

I have to agree. The contest seemed to go very well! hats off to you and the judges Karin! 😀

August 21st, 2006 at 3:23 pm · Link

Thanks, Cece. Are you going to enter next time?

12. Cece
    August 22nd, 2006 at 8:46 am · Link

LOL I’m not sure how that would go over with Audrey 😉

August 22nd, 2006 at 7:36 pm · Link

Doh!!!! I forgot, Cece. My brain is in mush mode. We do not want to upset Audrey.

14. Rhonda
    August 25th, 2006 at 9:31 am · Link

I like your idea – I’ll definitely be entering next time!!