Would the author of this entry please come on down!
August 26th, 2006

“Hell, I’ve got kids myself, Deborah, so I can see how something like this can happen—what with you being a single momma and all. It’s a hectic, overwhelming day and then the kid starts to whine.” Stuart Albright, Jamesville’s chief of police, leaned forward in his wood chair, bracing beefy forearms against the scarred surface of the interrogation table.

He was so close now Deborah could smell the hint of onions on his breath, hear the smoke-raspy catch to his breathing. She drew back, retreating until the wood slats of her chair pressed hard against her spine, trying to think past the exhaustion, past the icy bite of fear.

“It’s all about the little things, isn’t it,” Albright continued, “he wants pizza instead of peas for dinner, or maybe he just won’t go to bed—the point is he starts to whine. Whine. Whine. Whine.”

Theresa?  I think it’s you. One of the five finalists did not send her pages so you were next in the tally.  How soon can you get me ten pages and a cover letter?

Please email me @ KLTabke@aol.com

Congrats and hurry up!

13 comments to “Would the author of this entry please come on down!”

August 26th, 2006 at 10:54 pm · Link

WHOOT! Theresa, how wonderful for you! Oh yeah, this is great. I’m so happy for you, girl!

August 26th, 2006 at 10:58 pm · Link

I just let her know over at Murder She Writes. She’s been commenting, hope she sees it soon.

3. Theresa
    August 26th, 2006 at 11:19 pm · Link

I see it, I see it. (waving franicly)

La Donna and Tracey– thank you so much for the heads up emails, I am in exceptionally kind and talented company.

And Karen, you are the absolute bomb. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. This is so exciting and totally unexpected.

Theresa

4. Theresa
    August 26th, 2006 at 11:21 pm · Link

Oh shoot.
    Karin I forgot to add that I sent you an email, but I’ll let you know here too. The pages are ready to send, I’ll need to work up a cover letter tonight. Thanks so much for this opportunity. I’ll have everything to you by tomorrow morning, if that’s okay– or do you need it tonight?

August 26th, 2006 at 11:22 pm · Link

Good luck, Theresa. I hope all five of you sell to Lauren!

August 26th, 2006 at 11:23 pm · Link

I got it.

7. Theresa
    August 27th, 2006 at 1:05 am · Link

Thank you, Raine.

What an unexpected, but hugely appreciated opportunity. I’ve been really enjoying your entry as it progressed. I was hoping that Karen would post the finalists ten pages at some point so I could see how they all end– or I should say begin. lol

8. Tracey
    August 27th, 2006 at 1:56 am · Link

Yay Theresa – glad to see you in and good luck to all the finalists 5. Go Karin’s Girls

9. raine
    August 27th, 2006 at 12:09 am · Link

Congratulations, Theresa!! 🙂

10. Edie Ramer
    August 27th, 2006 at 9:30 am · Link

Theresa, I’m excited for you!!!! YAY!!!!

11. Theresa
    August 27th, 2006 at 12:33 pm · Link

Tracey, and Edie,

Thank you both. What an unexpected turn of events. I feel sorry for the finalist who missed this opportunity, but heck–I’m more than happy to grab it for myself.

12. Theresa
    August 27th, 2006 at 2:00 pm · Link

Karin,

I emailed the cover letter and first ten pages around noon today. Let me know if you don’t get them.

August 27th, 2006 at 2:47 pm · Link