Manic mode over!—for now.
October 17th, 2006

At 3:30 this am I turned in the revised version of SKIN to my editor. For the past three weeks I have been on a roll, staying up late, plugging away. I like it, I love it, I want some more of it! I don’t know what it is about the manic crunch of the process but it works for me. If I were given 3 months to do revisions, I’d do them in the last three weeks. My editor must know this about me. I love to slam, to work on a tight deadline, to feel the pressure.
For me the pressure of writing is as good as it gets. The pressure of promoting the book is hell for me. Hate it!

So, this week I will spend catching up on chapters for my CP’s, doing some tedious promo stuff, catch up on my reading, and taking it easy. Monday? I begin my novella for the Pocket anthology I’m in with Allison Brennan and Rocki St. Claire. I’ll have it written and polished by the end of the year.
I have several other books slotted to write and will know more later this week as to their timeline. I will of course share that news as soon as I can. 😉

So, I’m enjoying a big-ass chocolate chip cookie and a triple venti latte at the moment, and thinking I might treat myself to some really good take out tonight.
I’m also going to rummage through my TBR pile, and curl up with a good read tonight.

Out of curiosity, what works for y’all? Do you like to take it slow and steady, or go balls to the walls? How do you deal with self-imposed deadlines or deadlines from your agent or editor? And when your story is in the can, what do you do for yourself to celebrate?

Be sure to stop by tomorrow for Officer Friendly’s informative and entertaining take on law enforcement.

Ciao for now, ladies and gents.

7 comments to “Manic mode over!—for now.”

October 17th, 2006 at 10:53 pm · Link

Karin, glad to hear you are due a little break. Chocolate chip cookies are always good. LOL I hate deadlines because I always fear I won’t meet them and screw up. I’m the little each day kinda person. Treating myself to a mini-makeover as soon as GH entry is good to go.

2. Hubby
    October 17th, 2006 at 11:12 pm · Link

“So, this week I will spend catching up on chapters for my CP’s, doing some tedious promo stuff, catch up on my reading, and taking it easy.”
    Hey! You can feel free to catch up on me as well…

October 17th, 2006 at 11:15 pm · Link

Start practicing working under a deadline, Amanda, your time will come soon enough.

And sweetheart, don’t worry, I’ll cath up with you a bit later 😉

October 18th, 2006 at 2:27 am · Link

🙂 And I’ll bet you’d do it again in heartbeat, wouldn’t you, Raine?

5. raine
    October 18th, 2006 at 12:41 am · Link

I had to work toward a deadline for the first time ever last year when I accepted an offer to write a novella for an e-book.
    THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE!!!!!
    Headaches, improper eating, not sleeping, the works. Swore I never wanted to do it again.
    Yet, I often find myself waiting until the last minute to work on stuff anyway…sigh…
    Go figure.

October 18th, 2006 at 11:49 am · Link

I don’t have official deadlines yet, Karin! Go figure. LOL. But, I will say, whenever something caught someone’s eye and they wanted change, I work better with the…balls to the walls! I guess the adrenaline rush works for me too. I think I’d rather have that, then total panic running for the hills mode. I’ll share the reality when my turn comes around. 😉

7. Michelle Diener
    October 18th, 2006 at 2:16 pm · Link

I’m a slow and steady wins the race kind of girl. But I have been known to come up with some of my best stuff under pressure, like when a certain editor requested the full of my unfinished novel.