The day after
November 24th, 2006

I feel like I weigh twice my normal weight, and just can’t seem to shake the yearning for a nap. Ah, tryptophane!

I hope everyone had a great day yesterday. I did. No strife, no stress, no drama, just warm comfy family time, with a couple of close friends to join the food orgy. Since the family is so large these days, my mother-in-law who is usually saddled with preparing Thanksgiving dinner was looking for takers next year. And while I enjoy most of the family, and don’t mind spending a week in the kitchen, the family has grown so much that well, for me Thanksgiving has lost much of its intimacy. I mean one year there were so many people we ate in a freakin’ garage!! How fun is that? No thank you.

I suggested we all go to the local homeless helter and serve. I have brought it up every year for several years now and my husband looks at me as if I’ve grown a second head. My kids have no problem with it, in fact my youngest son and youngest daughter ask every year if we’re are going to do it. Every year I say, “Daddy doesn’t want to.”
For hubby it isn’t that he doesn’t want to help out, he would–gladly, what he doesn’t want, is his tradition disrupted. He loves the day, the food, and the family. While I do too, I can do without it. Why not spend the day helping those less fortunate, then come home to an intimate family meal, and be thankful for what you have?

There is so much that can be done if serving at the shelter is out. There are many elderly people who are home, why not take them dinner? Or help the local church with meals? This year is the first year we didn’t donate several turkeys. Why? I forgot. With hubby’s surgery, my trips, my writing, and my mind being elsewhere I completely forgot. Lousy excuse. But I will make it up at Christmas.

As I write this my resolve is calcifying. I just yelled down to hubby, “We’re spending part of Thanksgiving next year with the homeless.” LSU took that opportunity to score, so my words were absorbed in his zealous cheering. That’s ok, I’ll get him later.

What special things do you do during the holidays that make you feel good?

14 comments to “The day after”

1. Lee
    November 24th, 2006 at 6:40 pm · Link

Love the ideas. Don’t forget the abused women’s shelter. That’s my favorite place to donate food, because of the kids. They also, always need nice clothing, to go out on job interviews..

Lee

November 24th, 2006 at 7:14 pm · Link

Lee, I chatted with a fellow SFA RWA board member a couple of weeks ago, and we are going to look into sponsoring a local women’s shelter.

November 25th, 2006 at 11:38 am · Link

My dad used to take us to the soup kitchen to eat to show us how the other half lived. Mom used to yell at him when we got home. LOL I think she was germophobic. 🙂

November 25th, 2006 at 4:40 pm · Link

Amanda, I think I would have liked your dad.

Our association is having a huge food drive. Last year the response was amazing. I see a Costco trip in my near future.

5. cathy
    November 25th, 2006 at 10:25 pm · Link

My grocery store offers up the boxed turkey dinners to local families in need. Anyone can purchase a dinner and the store will make sure it gets to the families. I do this for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

6. Kristi
    November 25th, 2006 at 11:15 pm · Link

We usually adopt a family – buy them gifts on their list and a grocery store gift certificate… we started doing it three years ago and it’s really fun. Wandering through the toy section and seeing all the new stuff is a gas!

November 26th, 2006 at 11:37 am · Link

Karin, I feel bad because I’ve often thought of “doing” exactly what you suggested and haven’t followed through. I can honestly see your hubby’s point of view, and yours. I like the helping others, then gathering for an intimate family dinner idea. My daughters have often discussed what we can all do. Maybe this year we’ll organize something and just do it. We buy a few Christmas items from a world organization every year. My youngest sponsers 3 children in other countries. So, our heart is there. It’s just a matter of combining our efforts for a holiday gift. I’m sure we’ll get so much out of the experience.

November 26th, 2006 at 1:58 pm · Link

One year our cub scout troop adopted a family. It had me in tears to see the little ones when we brought in box after box, all gaily wrapped for Christmas. The littlest one looked at her mom and said, “Santa is real.”

November 27th, 2006 at 1:24 am · Link

Don’t feel bad, LaDonna! Next year help by donating food or your time. But this year, most churches have donation bins where you can drop off toys, and many fire departments have toy drives.

Awe, Amanda, that is such a sweet story!

10. Christy
    November 27th, 2006 at 12:13 pm · Link

In the bible it states that if you give donations you need not to give your name. That’s all apart of the giving portion. You shouldn’t be rewarded for doing a good deed. It’s just that a good deed.
    Also I have a question for you Karin…You made a statement regarding the family getting big and doing the holiday in the garage. Correct me if I’m wrong please. Holidays are meant for families to be together wether it’s outside, in the garage, in a home ect. The fact that the family is with one another should be the part that counts the most. There are alot of people out there that don’t even have families to go to. One should be grateful that they have family to be around regardless of where the holiday is spent.

11. Shannon
    November 27th, 2006 at 12:31 pm · Link

Family is the most wonderful gift God gives us. May God bless you and yours during this graceful season.

November 27th, 2006 at 1:57 pm · Link

I hear ya loud and clear, Christy, but eating with a bunch of people (many I would prefer not be with) in a drafty garage on a cold cement floor, and eating cold food on paper plates isn’t my idea of Thanksgiving. In fact, after that particular day, hubby and I decided never again.

And while I agree with you and Shannon that family is a wonderful gift, I have several gifts I’d like to exchange or return for a full refund.

That said, I guess I’ve just gotten to the point in my life, where I am selfish when it comes to my time, who I spend it with, and how I spend it.

November 27th, 2006 at 6:46 pm · Link

LOl, Karin! So true, all of it!!!

November 28th, 2006 at 12:24 am · Link