Tuesday Morning
November 28th, 2006

While I admit that since I sold I have become more of plotter, I still pants it, a lot. I mostly pants my character’s GMC’s. No wait a minute, I take that back. I have rough GMC’s sketched out, but not fully. I allow that to happen in my writing process. Usually it happens but sometimes, as with SKIN, it took 3 times before I finally had a handle on it, and finally the hand of my editor to breathe real life into my heroine. I just kept trying to push her one way, and my editor is like, “Frankie would never do this this or this, why do you have her doing it?” I’m like, “Well, coz, I dunno.” Meanwhile I’m thinking, isn’t that part of the rules for heroines? Never mind my CP’s told me the same thing about my heroine. I thought I had fixed it. I knew when I turned that book in something wasn’t right. That inner nag in my gut. It’s called instinct and I need to listen to it more. It took the fresh eye of my editor to point out I hadn’t. So, that is what revisions are for. Once I started writing the real Frankie, the story fell into place and I could sleep at night.

I had the same feeling, the feeling of some thing wasn’t quite clicking when I began JADED. This book is darker, more twisted, deeper in many ways then GOOD GIRL and SKIN. And because it is technically an erotic suspense, I realized when I sketched out my heroine it was going to take some serious effort to get her in bed with darkly Mc Charming Jase. But last night as I was kind of free writing while sticking to the plot, my characters lead me to their inner most thoughts, and it came to me, just how sexy this story was going to be. These two have some serious chemistry, and she, Jade, my heroine has some very dark issues she needs to work through. Free spirited lady’s man Jase Vaughn steps up to the plate and delivers. I’m really excited.

When I can’t write or avoid writing it’s not because I don’t want to write, it’s because I know something isn’t meshing with my characters. My process is to ponder a bit, not overly much, I don’t have the time to be The Thinker. I have to write it out. I don’t have a choice. If I don’t write, I don’t, well, write, and no writing equals no stories and that is bad for Karin. So, for me, I become the bull in the china shop and wreak havoc until the story begins to take on truth.

What is your process from the beginning? And what do you do when the cursor continues to flash and you get that glazed look in your eye and think of all the things you’d rather do then hang out with your characters?

oh and ps, I heard from Officer Friendly who surprisignly is still alive (I also heard from Mrs.Friendly, and let’s just say OF is lucky to have such a doting, understanding and loving spouse), anyhoo, he is up to taking questions, so if you have one, email it asasp to Karin@KarinTabke.com and he’ll answer it tomorrow.

Oh and don’t forget this week’s prize, a signed copy of IMPOSSIBLY TONGUE TIED by Josie Brown to the commenter who gets their name pulled from the hat, or in reality the envelope.

Next week I’ll have Jami Alden’s DELICIOUS up for grabs (oh and check out the Quickie link, Jami has a fab recipe for curry pumpkin soup for this month’s quickie) and the following week Jen Skully’s lastest release to the commenter who gets picked.

13 comments to “Tuesday Morning”

1. Edie Ramer
    November 28th, 2006 at 4:30 pm · Link

LOL about your CPs telling you the same thing. That’s what I was thinking.

I start with GMC’s, but after writing the first draft of my latest, I realized my GMC’s aren’t strong enough. That’s probably why it took so long. I have to make them stronger and do a lot of revising.:sad: If you hear a head banging on a desktop, that’s me.

November 28th, 2006 at 5:18 pm · Link

I heard you guys too! I thought by the third time I had nailed it. Not!

I’m going to be writing JADED a bit different then my usual process. Because of time constraints, I need to just write it. So I’m going to figuratively puke it up. It should be a strong detailed outline. I’ll have a much better idea of where I need to strengthen, and then I will layer.

3. Officer Friendly
    November 28th, 2006 at 8:30 pm · Link

Officer Friendly has reported for duty. A current investigation into the care he’s been receiving precludes me from comment…

November 28th, 2006 at 9:38 pm · Link

tell the investigator Mrs. Friendly deserves a Medal of Valor.

5. cathy
    November 28th, 2006 at 10:24 pm · Link

As a nbn-writer, it is fascinating to hear about the writing process. Jaded has sure captured my interest, hope to hear more about it.

6. Michelle
    November 29th, 2006 at 6:56 am · Link

Karin, I also have to write it out. I sometimes write it out three or four time, but I get there in the end :).

7. Sharon/Maya
    November 29th, 2006 at 10:11 am · Link

I so don’t even want to talk about this right now. I’m emotionally scarred from my most recent plotting experience.

waaaahhhhh!!

November 29th, 2006 at 11:09 am · Link

Cathy what does nbn-writer mean?
    Michelle, I hear your pain!
    Bwahahahhahaaaa, Maya!

9. Elisabeth
    November 29th, 2006 at 2:36 pm · Link

oh, man. Does this post ring true or what. I’m in the process of putting together a proposal that’s kicking my ass, and then some. Something’s not right with it, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out what. My CPs are so sick of hearing me say that. Last night I started the fourth version of this thing, and I have no idea if this is going to fix the problem or not.

Puke it up, huh? The perfectionist in me cringes at that idea.

10. cathy
    November 29th, 2006 at 8:29 pm · Link

Jeez-Louise, sorry Karin, I was trying to say NON-writer.

November 29th, 2006 at 9:57 pm · Link

Ah, okay, Cathy, gotcha. I was wondering what the heck that was! So as a non writer that makes you a reader!!! I lurve readers. 🙂
    I need to read more. My decision to read two books a week has gone into the toilete. I so want to read Josie’s IMPOSSIBLY TONGUE TIED, but haven’t found a quiet evening to do so.

12. Allison Brennan
    November 30th, 2006 at 3:41 pm · Link

That’s what I’m doing. Puking up an entire book. The premise is so good, I totally get my characters, even my villain, but it’s been a struggle. I think it’s the interruptions.

13. Stephe
    December 3rd, 2006 at 5:21 am · Link

Dang, it’s a terrible feeling when something ain’t gelling, like an anvil sitting on your freaking diaphragm. One of the first things I check is the point of view–sometimes the scene should be through someone else’s eyes, yes? If that isn’t it, I panic, because then I have to go on down the fix-it list while my characters have a good laugh. Argghh.

Carry on, ladies!