Second round is on!
Okay, ladies, while my agent judge struck swift and sure that doesn’t mean she had an easy time of it. Thank you, agent judge! Now here are the 65 first lines that make it to the second round. You have until midnight this Friday to post your original first line (no changes) and the next line. Same rules apply. One sentence for your second line, and all entries must be posted in the comment section of this post. Good luck, and make those second lines count!
1. “Your sorry ass is going to be even sorrier, Jimmy Ray!”
2. Keaton, Lady Denham, cursed her bosom as she balanced on the ledge over her father’s study.
3. Just when Christine Abernathy thought life couldn’t get any worse her umbrella collapsed, drenching her with icy Oklahoma rain.
4. Elizabeth squeezed her eyes tight and turned her face away from the wicked-looking blade.
5. Jack Sutton heard a whisper of movement a split second before an arm wrapped around his neck and something sharp plunged into his gut.
6. “What does he think I am – a moron?”
7. So what if he’d gained a reputation for being wicked.
8. As much as he’d hoped Lacey McLaren had gained a hundred pounds and sprouted horns in the five years since he’d last seen her, she hadn’t.
9. Like a snake, coiled and ready to strike, it’d been waiting for him when he’d arrived at work.
10. Kenzie Summers swiveled on the bar stool, her gaze encompassing every inch of the lively room in an attempt to find someone to ruin her reputation.
11. Who said dying was easy?
12. Through the darkness the child ran, dogging the woman’s heels.
13. Kyra Delano sipped from her glass of whiskey straight, savoring the sharp burn on her tongue and chill of ice melting in its wake.
14. “Damn, it’s hotter than the devil’s backyard out here.”
15. I was in sophomore Englishâ€“midweek, early November, daydreaming about life after high schoolâ€“when Sam Blaine made his first move and Jane Austen made her first comment.
16. The man lay face-up in a pool of his own blood.
17. To say I was running away would be to admit I couldn’t face the horror that had been inflicted upon me four months earlier.
18. Sure Mary Poppins seemed delightful and charming when she was shaping the futures of Jane and Michael Banks, but now that she’s adopted me as a pet project, not so much.
19. No doubt about itâ€“Cosmo Fortune was a royal pain in the ass.
20. “Some wild animal is going to eat you alive!”
21. She’d become nothing more than a common thief.
22. Death comes to all of us in many ways.
23. “Jesus Mari, when’s the last time you were laid?”
24. “I can make a woman come using just my mouth.”
25. Lord, that man was gorgeous.
26. “Just keep on driving, Mister,” Moxie said as she struggled to keep the gun in her hand from shaking as she aimed it at the man’s head.
27. Jordan Blake always figured he’d go to hell someday, but he never expected it to be this soon.
28. In the grand scheme of life, was slipping Viagra into your husband’s dinner really a bad thing?
29. “Petersen, what in the name of God are you doing?”
30. The town was quaint, post card perfect; no one would ever guess it held so much malice.
31. The gossip about Cassie Russell swirled around town like a nasty dust.
32. Maybe she should just kill Jackson.
33. He’d introduced her to passion in payment for his life.
34. “Despite what you apparently believe,” Lieutenant Kathryn Glace snapped, the pale skin across her cheeks tightening and tinting peach, “I’ve given this a great deal of thought—the family is legitimate, and their unique. . .talents. . have proven significantly helpful in the past.”
35. Joshua shuddered as the massive red door creaked open, allowing the stench of brimstone to steal into the room.
36. On Valentine’s Day, a Friday, Emma O’Manny woke up with two kids, a minivan, a house in the Portland suburbs, and a husband with a sick sense of humor.
37. The campfire smoke curled around him, mingling with scents of dust and fry bread.
38. Across the crowded ferry, the little girl looked up and Gabe Moreau ducked his head, praying she’d sit tight and stay the hell away.
39. “Are you out of your mindâ€“you can’t kidnap a cover model!”
40. Lindy perused Steven’s form for the one hundredth time since lunch, wondering if today would be the day she would seduce him.
41. Fighting the natural urge to fade away, disappear, and remain in reclusion, Lelandi Wildhaven spied the seedy tavern down the street where she would set up her first night of surveillance.
42. Couldn’t she just go back to sleep and forget she’d ever poisoned him?
43. “I’m sorry to call, but this is bad,” her father said, his voice melodramatic, like over-rehearsed lines from a low-budget horror flick.
44. I couldn’t sell my jewelry because it would be traceable so I simply took the wedding and engagement rings and dropped them down a sewer – a fitting gesture, and quicker than divorce.
45. For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to be the female version of either Sherlock Holmes or Wong Fei Hung, and that pretty much sums up my life.
46. Wealth no longer amused Hugh Hennigan and tonight it suffocated him.
47. Mike Gallagher dropped deadâ€“again.
48. When I walked into the office, it felt like the place was holding its breath.
49. Adam McKinnon stretched out on a tree branch and studied the full moon, his cool blue eyes contemplative.
50. Jordan James paced the tight confines of the elevator, her pounding feet echoed loudly in the tight space.
51. “Son, you’ve got more metal in you than the Terminator.”
52. “Not no, but hell no,” Maggie said as they stood behind the stage in the massive ballroom of the Marriott Hotel in downtown Dallas.
53. “Maybe I should become a lesbian for a week,” I blurted.
54. “On the sole count of first degree murder, how does the jury find?”
55. “All men are lying, cheating sex-fiends,” said an irate caller on the radio talk show.
56. “Maybe you should consider getting a boob job.”
57. “Gone? What the hell do you mean, gone?”
58. A more asinine circumstance than he now faced was hard to imagine.
59. “Damn loser recruit,” Captain Connors muttered as he sweltered in the alleyway, forced to endure the scents of week-old Chow Mein coming from the Dumpster he leaned against.
60. A dead man asked me to trust you?
61. “”What’s Santa doing with a shotgun, partner?” Detective Christina James asked her partner as she strapped on her Kevlar vest.
62. I must’ve pissed off someone at Psych-Ops to pull down an assignment in Forgotten Detroit.
63. Trevor Carlton hated threatsâ€“when they were directed at him.
64. Katy made her way to the phone, stumbling past the latest tawdry romantic novel, the hero’s shimmering pectors facing up, thus drawing her glance once gain as she drip, drip, dripped to the counter where her cell lay, sure that her falling on her new Ginsu knives, a make-up gift from her circus performing boyfriend, Mr. Shriek, was sure to put a damper on the evening ahead.
65. Okay, let me say from the get-go, I do not have a problem with cops but right now, though, a cop has a real problem with me.
Great job ladies!!