This city does not sleep.
March 31st, 2007

Times Square is a living entity. The energy is amazing. The sites invigorating and the crowds pulsing. The scents, the textures, the sounds of it are incomparable. I will never forget Tuesday night when we turned the corner from our hotel and experienced the wow of Times Square in full neon living color. Pictures, video, paintings, nothing can adequately describe it.

The food is as unique as the people. I thought I knew what authentic Italian was. Turns out I can learn a lot.

Last night we went the Hilton Theater (lovely intimate setting) and saw THE PIRATE QUEEN a Broadway show based on the life of Grace O’Malley. It brought many people to tears (Allison Brennan and Sylvia Day come to mind :)). I sucked it up. After the show and taking a gazillion pictures in front of the marquee, mom, aunty, daughter, Allison, Rocki, Sylvia and I had dinner at the fabulous Bond 45 restaurant. I have never seen such an extensive (and delicious) antipasto bar. It was 1:30 when we came up to our room, then us girls sat around and chatted. It was almost 4 a.m. before I hit the sack. Of course I missed the first speaker this am. Sleep depravation aside, I wasn’t’ feeling well. I took some drugs jumped in the shower and made it down by 10:30.

After meetings today, me and my girls are going to hit Times Square hard, have a piece of cheesecake at Juniors, then Mario our driver (who I am not sure if we adopted him or he adopted us) will be taking us down to the village for dinner. Mario has been a major source of comfort for me. Knowing he has taken a very personal and protective interest in the four of us, I don’t find myself worrying while I am in conference and my favorite ladies are out on the town with him. Speaking of my fave ladies, my daughter just called from Tiffanies to tell me about a charm she just had to have! lol, she described it and I told her I had to have one too! Thank you lord for inventing credit cards.

Well, it’s time to get back to the conference. More later!

7 comments to “This city does not sleep.”

March 31st, 2007 at 2:17 pm · Link

Living vicariously through you is starting to lose its ability to satisfy, I am beginning to crave the night life.

oh and cheesecake

2. Gaill
    March 31st, 2007 at 2:53 pm · Link

Do we have to pick one food item you’ve talked about to crave? I think I’m gaining just reading about the eats you’ve written about!
    I have to say this- the thing that drew me to this blog was the one line contest. What keeps me here, weeks after being eliminated? Oh I could say it is the joy of watching stories as they are built, but I’d be lying through my teeth. I could say it is the fun of bashing Sanjaya, but again, while it is fun and stress-relieving, it would still not be the truth. What keeps me here is the essence of Karin, and one comment she made in this post sums it up. Karin spent 2.5 hours rehashing the events of the NYC day with people she talks to everyday, instead of sleeping, instead of in a nightclub, instead of a myriad of other things that she could have been doing. I have read about Mario, the bouncers, the dancers. Since I don’t have many, the fact that Karin is rich in relationships, those that already exist and those she builds from scratch, is what keeps me here. Thanks, Karin, for modeling real life for some of us who don’t actually understand all that means, or are afraid of what comes next.

March 31st, 2007 at 3:07 pm · Link

Cele, I had a pastrami on rye at the deli across the street today. It melted in my mouth. They don’t make them like that in Cali. Of course it cost me nearly ten bucks, but hey? forgetaboutit.

March 31st, 2007 at 3:15 pm · Link

Gaill, your comment choked me up. 🙂 I am so happy you found us and you feel comfortable enough to stay. I feel like when I am away from you all here at The Write Life I am away from freinds. And, as much as I love it here, I am looking forward to going home.

5. Hubby
    April 1st, 2007 at 1:02 am · Link

And we’re looking forward to your return…

April 1st, 2007 at 9:55 am · Link

God, Gaill, you choked me up too! lol. You said it perfectly. We’ve all felt this, but you put it into words. Thank you for that!!!!

7. Edie Ramer
    April 2nd, 2007 at 3:48 pm · Link

Karin has great energy. It comes through in everything she writes and says. 🙂

I’m glad New York turned out so fabulous. I never doubted you’d have a blast.