AWOL
June 3rd, 2007

I know I usually post more regularly, but this past week has been jammed. Since mid March of this year I have been back involved in my business. I had taken a sort of leave of absence when I sold, and well, it was necessary for me to jump back in with both feet, and hands. And I am not complaining. Quite the contrary, it has gotten me out of a complacent rut.

Quite frankly, when I was working full time in my business, with kids home, hubby working weird shift work, I did manage to write. Quite a bit actually. But I seriously believe I was able to write because it was my business and I didn’t have anyone looking over my shoulder, not to mention, my hours were flexible. And when I started to write my kids were all teenagers or young adults.

Now here’s the thing. With deadlines (I have six books to turn in between now and Feb ’08), and conferences, and RWA meetings and book signings, and everything else that goes with selling, I couldn’t do it if I was working a 9-5 job and had small children to take care of.

So props to all of you writers out there who are juggling like mad and still writing, and writing good stuff.

I find for me right now, the suck on my writing time isn’t actual time I’m putting into the business, but the after hours thinking about my business. I mean my brain is having a hard time shifting from concentrating on one thing, the business, to the other thing, writing. It’s like my brain won’t go to sleep. Usually I get my good writing in at night on the Dana. I wrote six pages this past week. Six measly pages! I have JADED to revise and the revisions for REDEMPTION are coming in next week. (btw, I reread REDEMPTION last night, just to touch base with my characters, and I love the story even more.) I need to get my brain to focus on the writing. The biz is good, real good actually; in May we had our best month since I took my leave of absence… but still…I need to shift brain gears.

Any suggestions? What sidelines your writing, and how to do you get back into the groove?

PS. Amie, “Your heroine is a slut,” is a winner in my book of nastiest comments by judges. Email me with your snail mail addy and I’ll send you a copy of GOOD GIRL.

Oh and pss, tomorrow is my blog day over at FogCityDivas come on by and heckle me. I have no idea what my topic is going to be.

17 comments to “AWOL”

1. May
    June 3rd, 2007 at 3:33 pm · Link

*shakes head* Just read Amie’s latest (she’s giving it away on my blog), and I see why some people will say that. Poor Amie.

I read to get back into the groove. When I don’t read enough…or when Muse does not get enough crack, I can’t write.

June 3rd, 2007 at 6:20 pm · Link

May, I read Amie’s interview. She is a goddess.

Reading is a good trigger. I did actually read this week. I read Toni Causey’s BOBBIE FAYE’S VERY (very very very) BA DAY. I laughed my ass off. Most excellent read. I’m reading Kalen Hughs’ LORD SIN right now, and she is a most excellent writer. Next I have Jen Apodaca’s SEX on the BEACH CLUB. I also have Sylvia Day’s BAD BOYS AHOY, and Tawny Weber’s debut Blaze, DOUBLE DARE, in the very soon to be read list.

3. Amie Stuart
    June 3rd, 2007 at 6:35 pm · Link

Ya’ll are making me blush! I’ll be honest though, it was easier to write when the kids were little. I treated it like a job, but it wasn’t a business. Now it’s the business end of it that keeps throwing me out of whack. Reading is definitely a good way to get back in the writing groove.

June 3rd, 2007 at 8:39 pm · Link

Sometimes everyday life sidelines my writing, but the last 3 days I was at the WisRWA conference, having an awesome time talking about writing. Now I have to get back in the writing groove too.

Karin, we can both groove. 😎

5. raine
    June 3rd, 2007 at 6:42 pm · Link

She is a goddess.

Yup.
    She is. 🙂

6. Sylvia Day
    June 4th, 2007 at 12:38 am · Link

K, I’m hugely jealous that you can blog so well. I used to blog 2-3 times a day and some of it was worth reading. *g*

The last year or more… brain cloud. So sad. I miss my brain a lot. 😉

((hugs))

June 4th, 2007 at 3:43 am · Link

Amie, the business part of writing really sucks out the energy.

🙂 Raine.

Edie, so glad you had a fab time this weekend. I love conferences.

Sylvia? 2-3 times a DAY? Are you mad?

June 4th, 2007 at 8:29 am · Link

Too many things can derail my train of thought. I switched to writing at night to lessen the distractions and keep me on track. The plan was to write at night and use free snippets of daytime to query and edit and keep abreast of the industry (by reading blogs, etc.). It was going great at first, but I’ve slacked off. I’ll be reading the suggestions here with great interest. I could use the same kind of advice myself.

9. Amie Stuart
    June 4th, 2007 at 10:44 am · Link

BE I”m just too braindead at night after a day at work and then dealing with the kids, so I’m trying to retool my schedule to get up early, exercise and write. So far I’m about 50/50 on the exercise 😀

June 4th, 2007 at 7:46 pm · Link

Karin, my battle now is shutting the ol’ brain off at night so I can sleep. LOL. Any suggestions?

11. Hubby
    June 5th, 2007 at 11:04 am · Link

Humm, any suggestions, honey…

12. Paty Jager
    June 5th, 2007 at 12:41 pm · Link

I use music as a trigger. I only listen to a certain person or type of music on each book. That way when I pop that music in my mind immediately goes to the book.

June 5th, 2007 at 2:48 pm · Link

B.E. I’m really trying hard to think of things to turn down the brain chatter. Maybe a regular massage? Or a sit in the hot tub? Or a martini IV drip?

Amie, ick on the getting up early idea.

June 5th, 2007 at 2:49 pm · Link

LaDonna, see my suggestions to B.E.

June 5th, 2007 at 2:50 pm · Link

Hmm, hubby, I dunno…do you have any…suggestions?

June 5th, 2007 at 2:51 pm · Link

Paty, music is a good idea. A real good idea. I like it loud.

June 5th, 2007 at 5:23 pm · Link

LOL, Karin. Is hubby talkin’ about research or something? When do you find time to write? hehe