Lot’s going on
July 25th, 2007

First of all, I want to say, I am very tired. Very tired as I said of all of the back biting and sniping going on within RWA and on the blogs. It’s so high school. If I was done before, I am well done now. It’s gotten to the point where there are weekly author bashing sessions going on all over the internet. It’s ugly, and it’s sad. I am weary of all of the bitchyness in the name of industry information. You can have it. All of it. If I want any industry information there are other avenues. Like my agent, and my editors. Not to mention PW and PM.

And people wonder why romance gets no respect. Hell, we can’t even respect each other.

So, on to lighter news. Yesterday I spent the better part of the day with my engaged daughter. We have picked a venue for her reception. Nailed the menu, the alcohol, and the linens. I have contacted the DJ we want, and he’s available. Last night my daughter’s Maid of Honor called wanting to chat about the bachelorette party. Of course my kid wants to take her girls to NYC. I flat out told her no. She doesn’t want to go to San Fran. She doesn’t want to go to Las Vegas. She wants South Beach in Miami, or Manhattan. Gawd. So, since this is something I really don’t have to worry about right now, I won’t.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed our time together yesterday, it was draining and I needed a nap. Instead I got to do something better. My youngest son’s football team had passing league last night at the local JC. Passing league is just that, the teams hone their passing game, sans pads, but with helmets. There is supposed to be no tackling.

When hubby and I walked up into the stands there weren’t many parents around. But within a half an hour, we had a group. People were moving their seats to come sit with us. In no time we had a boisterous crowd. It was like no time had passed since last season. I’ve known many of these parents forever. My friend, we’ll call her LB, and I have been sitting together since both of our oldest boys played together as freshmen. Both are butt heads and both are off to college. Now our youngest boys play together. Last night is the first time I have really sat down with her since the end of last season. We laughed our asses off.

So last night while we watched our kids down on the field we all caught up. We laughed. We chatted, hubby handed out a few cards, (he has his eye on a few kids) and generally had a fabulous social time. The only sour note was my kid, who, playing free safety jumped up to break up a play (which he did. It was beautiful) and landed on his shoulder. I knew immediately from his very subtle body language (see, my kid won’t let his coaches know he’s injured, coz then he can’t play, but mama knew).

Being the bold mama bear that I am, I went down to the sideline and asked my boy if it was the same shoulder injury from last year. He gave me a murderous look. Not because he was angry with me, but because he was furious his game was being interrupted by an injury. Sigh. We slapped an ice pack on him and he was back on the field ten minutes later. His coaches should not have allowed him back, but probably did because the kid said he was ok. He wasn’t. Still a stud at 65% he needed to be sidelined. Last night when he got out of the shower and tried to put on a tee shirt, his moans of pain had me out of my office and into his room in a flash.

Again, that murderous look. “I didn’t know you were up here,” he said. He was embarrassed I heard his pain. I helped him the rest of the way. It was good for him he allowed me.

Needless to say, he didn’t practice this a.m. just went and watched. He sees the specialist tomorrow. I love my kid. I love the way he toughs it out, but I wish he’d listen to his body and not try to push so hard through the pain. His brother is the same way. And so is his dad. Me? At the first hint of pain? Give me the narcotics!

So today, I went to a funeral. My name is Karin Lynn. This funeral was for another Karin Lynn. She was only 40 years old. She left two beautiful children behind and a grieving husband. She died of melanoma. She was a runner. I didn’t know her, she was the daughter-in-law of good friends of my in-laws. People I adore. So of course hubby and I went to support this great family. There must have been 400 people at the church. Amazing. We all wore pink. She loved pink. It was a very uplifting ceremony.

The reverend said a lot that resonated with me today but this stuck. “It’s not the number of years you spend here on earth but how you spend those years.” No kidding. It just made me that much more determined not to get caught up in all the flame wars on the internet. When I came home a while ago, I deleted almost 200 emails. That was what had accumulated since last night. I am so not wasting one minute of my life on the negative BS. Or negative BSing people. LOL, I feel like getting out a crucifix and holding it out in front of me to ward off all of those vampires out there.

So, while I am physically tired, I am also emotionally drained right now. But in a good way. Today is my father-in-law’s birthday, and god bless him, he spent it celebrating the death of a very brave woman he barely knew. But then, that’s dad. I also realized sitting there today looking around at all of Karin’s supporters, my in-laws, my husband, and listening to the preacher, that I am very blessed.

So, let’s end this blog post with an uplifting question: What are you thankful for?

22 comments to “Lot’s going on”

1. tawny
    July 25th, 2007 at 7:11 pm · Link

I’m thankful for the positive, encouraging friends I’ve got who remind me of why we do this (and occassionally remind me to suck it up and go write the damned story). I’m thankful for an incredible family, sweetie of a hubby, precious children and dingy dogs. The list is long, and I guess I’m most thankful that my long list of blessings far overshadows any list I could come up with of negatives. I’d much rather focus on that, huh?

2. Sharon/Maya
    July 25th, 2007 at 7:53 pm · Link

Really good girlfriends :)))))))

July 25th, 2007 at 7:57 pm · Link

Ditto all of that, T!

Heh, I hear you on that front, Sharon. 😉
    Ok, now stop, coz you’re scarin’ me.

4. HollyD
    July 25th, 2007 at 8:13 pm · Link

My husband, my five children, his parents, and living in the U.S.A. I’m also thankful for all the fabulous books that I get to enjoy each year.
    I’m with you on the negative people.

5. HollyD
    July 25th, 2007 at 8:16 pm · Link

I forgot to ask what are PW and PM?

6. spyscribbler
    July 25th, 2007 at 8:30 pm · Link

I don’t blame you. I’ve been vascillating between the idea that one should try to improve one’s organization, the idea that it’s hopeless, and that it’s too much stress.

I’m thankful DH will be home in 44 more days. That’s the best I can do; ask me again in 44 more days and I’ll give you a long list. 🙂

I feel for your son. It’s tough to love a sport and lose the ability to play it, even for a short time. Or what feels like (or is) a long time.

7. Liz Kreger
    July 25th, 2007 at 8:41 pm · Link

I’m thankful for a lot of things. Perhaps too many to list. I’m thankful to see the sun rise and the sun set. I’m thankful for my family, my hubby and daughter and most of all, I’m thankful for my friends.

8. Poppy
    July 25th, 2007 at 8:48 pm · Link

I’m thankful for my beloved husband, adorable pups, and dear friends. RWA is full of all the thing you say, but it’s also the place where I’ve met some of my sweetest, most wonderful friends.

July 25th, 2007 at 9:21 pm · Link

I’m thankful for my family, and a husband who loves me as much as I love him. Grandkiddies that smile and laugh. Being able to do what I love. And my girlfriends, who make me laugh and smile.

10. Lee
    July 25th, 2007 at 10:31 pm · Link

I’m late coming in, but I can’t even count what I’m thankful for, my kids of course, even when they drive me nuts, my grandkids, who are the light of my life, my friends, both old and new, and last but not least my husband. My Louie, is my soul. Everyday with him is a blessing even when he is annoying the piss out of me.

July 26th, 2007 at 12:08 am · Link

Ladies, you make me smile. I just came home from dinner with my in-laws. We celebrated my FIL’s B-Day, and as I watched him enjoy his wine tonight, I said thank you to god for giving him to me. He is a priceless gift.

Yeah, it’s all good, and reading everyone responses solidifies for me, the goodness that does come out of an organization that has a few warts.

July 26th, 2007 at 12:13 am · Link

I am thankful for a ‘hero’ I don’t have to write about, or imagine, he exists by my side; flesh and blood. I am thankful for the family I still have and those who have gone before me and wait for me. I am thankful for RWA for bringing me more friends than I have ever had in my life.

July 26th, 2007 at 12:14 am · Link

I’m thankful every day that I found my husband, that I have an awesome kid, and that I’m alive. You know what they say about the two rules in life… 1) Don’t sweat the small stuff and 2) It’s all small stuff. Or on a lighter note: Don’t sweat the petty stuff and don’t pet the sweaty stuff. 😉

(What can I say… It’s late and I get goofy when I’m tired.)

Have your men folk give you lots of hugs. You need ’em, you’ve earned ’em and heck, they’re just nice.

July 26th, 2007 at 12:37 am · Link

I am thankful that I have this and other opportunities. That I can give and take of each and everyday sharing, caring, loving, living, laughing, and evening crying. That despite two divorces I am loved by a wonderful man…who hasn’t seen fit to divorce me. Because my parents like me, my daughers like me, and that my grandson isn’t too old for hugs and kisses yet, and he likes me too.

I am thankful that you listen, share, laugh, and care. That you give and take, and come back to do it all again. That you are open and accepting of me and those who need it.

July 26th, 2007 at 12:39 am · Link

And I am thankful that my little spot wasn’t melanoma, but only a small basal cell carcinoma. Please you spf45.

16. Hubby
    July 26th, 2007 at 1:18 am · Link

I am thankful for my life and all that that encompasses; the good, the bad, and the ugly, for I truly have been blessed to have such a life.

17. Sylvia Day
    July 26th, 2007 at 3:04 am · Link

Gossip is worthless and business news is best learned from people you trust.

Things I’m thankful for — my family, my friends, and the professionals I work with. Together they keep me sane, productive, and happy. Life’s good. 😀

Hugs,
    Syl

July 26th, 2007 at 9:25 am · Link

I’m thankful for my husband, family, pets, friends. My writer friends are way up on my list. 🙂

19. Virna
    July 26th, 2007 at 10:14 am · Link

I’m thankful for my husband, kids, family, friends, good fortune, and health. I’m also thankful that with age I continue to grow and challenge myself and appreciate the uniqueness of others.

20. Lynn Raye Harris
    July 26th, 2007 at 3:30 pm · Link

I am thankful for my husband and family, thankful my hubby never had to go to Iraq before he retired from the military, thankful we left Hawaii and moved to Alabama (sounds nutty, but there’s lots of reasons it was good), and thankful every darn day that I get to do what I love.

And, after my own wide-eyed first time conference experience where I encountered the back-biting and bitchiness and was shocked it could be so high schoolish at times, I’m seriously thankful I have no idea what you’re talking about that’s still going on, Karin!

I’m thankful for lots more things, but won’t clog your blog with the list. 🙂 Thanks for realizing what’s important in life and not being one of the high school people. 🙂

21. Deb
    July 27th, 2007 at 9:23 am · Link

*sniff* over the wedding… your son… the funeral… I’m such a mushy sap. Love your blog, Karin. There is not time in our short lives for negativity–so onward.

I’m happiest when my little bambinos are sitting at the dinner table with my DH and me just shooting the breeze. The three of them are young adults now so we don’t do this very often. Throw a good bottle of wine added to the mix–heaven! LOL!

July 28th, 2007 at 3:14 am · Link

Virna, I’m thankful I met you!

OMG! Lynne, I’m thankful with you about not having your hubby go to Iraq. I know there are a couple of regular posters here who have loved ones over there. I’m thankful everyday they are still with us.

Handing you a kleenx, Deb. 🙂
    I totally agree with being thankful when you are all at the table, and the wine is always a plus. I really cherish our Sunday dinners.