I’m not a Feng Shui expert by any stretch of the imagination, but…
August 27th, 2007

Tonight at my youngest (#2) daughter’s house we celebrated the birthday of her great-aunt who amazingly is just turning a paltry 39 years old! As number one daughter and I challenged number one son and her significant other to a game of pool (it was quite comical actually, especially since mass quantities of wine were consumed) my daughter and I somehow got on the subject of objects and pictures in our respective houses. You see, daughter number two has pictures throughout her house. Lot’s and lot’s of pictures. Every single one of them make me smile. My oldest daughter mentioned a picture she had in her house.

I asked her why she had it, knowing one of the persons in the pic made her sad. She shrugged and said, “I don’t know.”

I said, “Get rid of it.”

She looked at me perplexed, and I said to her, “Why have something in your home, your safe place, that every time you look at it makes you angry or sad?” I went on to tell her, “I removed all of those types of pictures from my house years ago. Not just put them away but tossed them. In the trash!” I went on to explain, “My friend Nyree who is a feng shui expert says not to have those things that remind you of unpleasant things or unpleasant people around you. Whether pictures, objects d’art, or memorabilia.”

It makes perfect sense to me.

When I designed my office I picked specific colors for my walls and my furniture. Colors and textures that gave me pleasure. I had already cleared my house of anything and everything that gave me displeasure. To the point of disposing of things of monetary value. I just didn’t want them in my house. Every single time I looked at them I either felt anger, sadness or discontent. What was the point of keeping them?

Think about it. If someone you despise gave you a picture or some type of household item or piece of art, what do you think every time you look at it? What is the point of feeling pissed off or maudlin?

GET RID OF IT!!!! Replace it with something that makes you smile.

Now, I want you to take a look around your house and pick one thing that every time you look at it makes you cringe. It could be a pic of the MIL you detest, or the ex-best friend’s water color that is worth a couple of thousand bucks. It could be a picture of your deceased father who you never got along with or it could be framed rejection letters that remind you each time you look at them you have been rejected! It could be a sculpture the love of your life who dumped you, gave to you as a parting gift.

GET RID OF IT!!!

Then, I want you to tell us what you tossed and if you are really brave, why. Bwahahahahah!

Ciao,

9 comments to “I’m not a Feng Shui expert by any stretch of the imagination, but…”

August 27th, 2007 at 12:54 am · Link

Wow, Karin, did you catch me at a great time or what? We’re tossing stuff right and left over here. We bought a few pieces of furniture, and of course desks and drawers had to be cleaned out. I actually had some old rejections in a desk I don’t use anymore. OUT! Bad energy is right. Once I tackle the main level, it’s up to my office. And in there, I’m gonna clean a wicker basket over-flowing with old contest entries and rejected manuscripts. Bwahahahah, is right! If it “doesn’t make ya smile” is a great plan. Thanks! Ah, nothing of value going, just basic crappola that needs to go. But if it did have some, it’d still go.

August 27th, 2007 at 9:49 am · Link

Wow, I thought about this and realized there is very little in my house that doesn’t give me pleasure. But some of your comments made me think. So I’m going to throw them back at you for discussion. Of course this is your blog and not mine, so you might think of throwing me. Oops.

Two people live in this house. Ducky’s parents were nice people, but sayin’ a picture of her caused me sadness, for whatever reason, so I am going to throw it out violating Ducky’s right to have a picture of his mom in our house. I guess I have a problem with that. Thougths?

Ducky keeps I pillow in his recliner (I kid you not) and it’s not what you think it is for, he keeps it on his lap. Life long habit, one that at the age of 55 will never be broken. It looks out of place, I have tried hiding it behind the recliner (that you have to walk around to get into the new room) I have tried moving it to another room. It always comes back, like acid reflux. I bought a matching pillow case, that helps a bit. But now I have trumped myself, I am going to recover my pillows so they all match.

Does that mean I feng shui’d myself?

August 27th, 2007 at 10:11 am · Link

Who frames their rejections letters? I don’t keep rejection letter in my office. Like you say, bad energy. I do keep them with my taxes in a differnt room, because there I can deduct my writing expenses, which gives them good energy. 😀

I’m taking down a picture in my office that my artistic niece colored a few years ago. It’s not giving out bad energy, I was just never crazy about it, but kept it to make my niece happy. I decided last night to replace it with something of my own, so it’s funny that you put this blog up today. 🙂

4. Mary
    August 27th, 2007 at 10:14 am · Link

Tried sitting hubby out on the curb but trash guys wouldn’t take him (lol). No seriously, the carpet in my living room was disgusting!!! Pulled it up to reveal the most beautiful hardwood floor and placed a quaint simple 5 x 7 rug in it’s place. Now I’m in love with my living room again.

August 27th, 2007 at 10:16 am · Link

LaDonna, Nyree says clutter is bad fung shui too! I need to work on that.

Cele, the pic of yor MIL? perhaps you could put it where hubby sees it and you don’t? as for his pillow, well, i think you solved the problem!

August 27th, 2007 at 10:21 am · Link

Edie, I was surprised to hear about the framed rejection letters too. The thought behind that is that very time the person looked at the letter it would make them more determined. But what it really said was, we don’t want you.

lol, Mary. And those trash guys take just about anything! Isn’t hardwood gorgeous? Another thing Ny says is to keep change fluid. Next time you get a little bored with the LR change a lamp or add colorful pillows.

August 27th, 2007 at 12:37 pm · Link

Karin, I printed out the Optimist Creed and replaced my niece’s drawing with it. Now that’s positive energy! I can already feel it.

8. Michelle
    August 28th, 2007 at 5:18 am · Link

I toss anything I don’t like anymore and I’d never put anything up that had bad memories for me. I’m so not a clutter person. My husband on the otherhand still has his files from university in boxes in the garage. And as he partied a lot harder than he worked in those days, there have got to be some bad memories in those exam papers 🙂 .

9. amie stuart
    August 28th, 2007 at 12:40 pm · Link

Wow is right! I’ll be honest, as much as I’d love to get rid of every picture of my ex ever taken, I don’t feel right getting rid of our wedding pics. I keep thinking the boys might want them someday. Maybe I’m wrong–they ARE boys after all LOL

Otherwise I can’t think of anything that really makes me sad except the messy house 🙂
    I really do need new floors too but it’s just not in the budget this year.