Rockin’ Round Two!
October 22nd, 2007

Ok here we go, round two!

For those of you who don’t know the drill, here it is: If your line is posted in this round congrats! You made the first cut. You have until midnight, Pacific time, this Friday to post your original first line (no changes allowed) and your next line. Same rules apply. The second line must be one line.

I’ll hand off the entries to my judge (and fyi, this round judge is a tough nut to crack). She’ll be culling 10 lines, so put your best second line forward! I’ll post the round three entries sometime next Monday.

1. The blood splattered on Maribel Thompson’s pillow and drying on her hand wasn’t hers, and neither were the boxer briefs tangled in her sheets.
2. At the moment of his death Alexander Detweiler didn’t find God, or see the welcoming smile of his dead sister, or experience that all but clichéd brilliant halo of white light.
3. The dust was still settling and there wasn’t time to think.
4. As I forced my eyes to open, despite the thick crust gluing them shut, I knew one thing was certain – I was dying.
5. It was right around 10 p.m. that I realized merry widows were made to be ripped off right away, not worn for an all-night TV marathon.
6. Remorse, the malicious shit, saddled up and rode Sierra Talbot’s heels like a haunted horse the day she blew back into the heart of Simon, Michigan.
7. They spied the dog first, lean, long-legged and pale as a moonbeam in the darkness.
8. Something was wrong and had been for quite a while now.
9. I was standing there naked when a dead man sauntered into my bathroom.
10. Sherry Fernando hefted her suitcase and marched toward the latched wooden gate she’d exited some four years earlier, never to look back.
11. Shattered like a goblet on a tile floor, Sarah Wild’s dreams lay in a tattered heap of shredded white silk and gossamer tulle.
12. I squeezed the trigger, the noise of the gun nearly deafening in the confined space of the elevator.
13. The mahogany coffin rested eerily over the wounded earth, the deep fissure as hollow as the hearts of the two mourners.
14. During the course of his quest, Dair Curator had lost count of the number of women he’d slept with.
15. Lindani didn’t run from anything, even a monster in the sea.
16. He floated headless in a mist of tears.
17. “This is your fault,” a male voice thundered.
18. For someone with Kate Atkinson’s unique talent, finding England’s most infamous pirate had been easy.
19. Shivering in the half-light, Mary Jones was assaulted by the futility of her life.
20. Emma Morris looked out the back window of Zelda’s Magical Diner at the rows of tomato plants heavy with the red fruit, and something free and wild inside her unfurled.
21. Chocolate was made for moments like this.
22. I bucked and twisted to shake off the men pinning my arms against a rough brick wall.
23. “It’s amazing the guy can climb at all with balls that big.”
24. Death permeated the air in the post-WWII bungalow as Sara Cooper walked through the front door and dropped her backpack on the floor.
25. “You look like a man who knows how to be wicked.”
26. Whoever said princesses couldn’t grow up to become killers was a liar.
27. For Jersey girl Mel, finding a town called Yeehaw Junction right off the Florida Turnpike, hit her harder than her near death encounter on the road to Nowheresville.
28. “Face it, the only reason she could possibly have for marrying that old fart is to get her hands on his money.”
29. Nothing but forest–miles and miles of forest–stretched out in front of her.
30. It seemed ironic that his own marriage should come undone at a house party whose sole purpose was to celebrate the promise of another.
31. Finding anyone on a reservation is never easy, even someone dead.
32. “I bet you taste as good as you smell.”
33. He found her just before sunrise.
34. “Betrothed…you can’t be serious!”
35. “Ah, baby, that’s it…just a little…um, yeah…” he urged, his low ragged moan changing to a satisfied growl.
36. Lissa, Princess of Horvald, waited for Death.
37. The frilly bedroom had been recently decorated in red – blood red.
38. Jenna Montgomery shot from bed with her daughter’s shriek still rattling her brain.
39. Her eyes were full of amusement, then it hit all at once and he breathed her name on a soft moan “Gabby”.
40. Dr. Ava Monroe listened intently as the subject screamed in pain.
41. “You want me to do what?”
42. Tam pressed deeper into the corner of the dark closet and jerked cloths from hangers to hide her bright copper hair.
43. NICK JUMPED as someone’s fingers slid down the back of his jeans.
44. The first time he had put the moves on her she let it go but the second time, she shot him.
45. “Run that by me again, and try not to sound like you’ve lost your mind.”
46. There was only one coherent thought in Francesca’s mind as she huddled on the closed toilet seat twisting her hour-old wedding ring.
47. She couldn’t believe it had come to this.
48. And then she smelled it!
49. “Ever heard the phrase ‘out of the frying pan into the fire’?” Dan muttered as we stared at the huge black mirrored doors.
50. He’d heard of fairies at the bottom of the garden, but this one was in his lounge room, and practically naked.
51. Kaitlin McKenzie stared down at her red-slicked hands and swallowed the pain; who knew a female body could lose so much blood!
52. In recent nights, the hunger had grown overwhelming.
53. “Pull out, pull out, please pull out,” she moaned.
54. It’s hard to have a life when you’re the Angel of Death.
55. “Oh my God,” Clea cried, staring down at the telephone receiver.
56. I stared at the nine men of my supposed dreams.
57. Julie closed her eyes tight begging the images to cease.
59. Ringing phones and telegrams only brought bad news.
60. Bloody slave labour!
62. “Un-believable,” Ethan said as he threw his pen on his desk in disgust and pinned his assistant with a stare that made grown men’s balls shrivel.
63. “I’m not giving her this.”
64. It happened as the third of them started on her.
65. Jim Callahan was born in the shadow of the lighthouse on Sandman’s Island, twenty miles from the End of the World.

Good luck everyone!!!

90 comments to “Rockin’ Round Two!”

1. Lisa
    October 23rd, 2007 at 6:58 pm · Link

Nick jumped as someone’s fingers slid down the back of his jeans. His hand jerked and his signature turned into a scrawl across the Rolling Stone cover.

2. Brenda
    October 23rd, 2007 at 7:08 pm · Link

A town she hadn’t seen or lived in for five years.

3. Carmen Evans
    October 23rd, 2007 at 7:24 pm · Link

From where he stood in his friend’s library, Marcus Elliot, the Duke of Westbrook, was able to stare out the library window and at the view beyond.

4. Cindy
    October 23rd, 2007 at 9:28 pm · Link

Dr. Ava Monroe listened intently as the subject screamed in pain. She held the man’s hand in place and watched his face contort in response to the stimulus.

5. Mel
    October 23rd, 2007 at 10:21 pm · Link

“Ever heard the phrase ‘out of the frying pan into the fire’?” Dan muttered as we stared at the huge black mirrored doors.
    “You know, that’s what I love about you, always the optimist,” I said, trying to convince myself there was no reason for my reflection to look so nervous.

6. Sandie
    October 23rd, 2007 at 7:54 pm · Link

Karin could you please ignore post #29 as I made a mistake with my secondline. It should read:

Her eyes were full of amusement, then it hit all at once and he breathed her name on a soft moan “Gabby”. That was enough to send his erection into a nosedive.

Thanks
    Sandie

7. Holly Dennler
    October 23rd, 2007 at 11:07 pm · Link

I squeezed the trigger, the noise of the gun nearly deafening in the confined space of the elevator. My legs trembled as I made my way over to where he lay, sprawled on the parking garage floor.

8. Sharon
    October 24th, 2007 at 1:28 am · Link

“Oh my God,” Clea cried, staring down at the telephone receiver. Horror crawled down her spine like cold fingers; Xander Valente was back!

9. Bernita
    October 24th, 2007 at 3:14 am · Link

I was standing there naked when a dead man sauntered into my bathroon.
    Sauntered, not shambled.

10. Elvina
    October 24th, 2007 at 3:47 am · Link

It’s hard to have a life when you’re the Angel of Death.

Aletta shimmered into the center of Orlando, metamorphosed into her usual human form, and watched and waited as more people died.

11. Diane
    October 24th, 2007 at 5:53 am · Link

60. Bloody slave labour! That’s what it is.

12. Tina C
    October 24th, 2007 at 7:00 am · Link

Hi Karen

Wow – second round… thank you.

#58. NAKED images of ‘The Cyclist’ flashed through his head, and his body responded accordingly.

His groin swelled slightly, as it always did when he imagined her.

13. Mary
    October 24th, 2007 at 7:24 am · Link

#57

This is my last change, I promise.

Julie closed her eyes tight begging the images to cease. It had been almost six years to the day since she had endured the mind numbing torture.

14. Calliope
    October 24th, 2007 at 7:59 am · Link

Okay, if I change my mind one more time, everyone I know will hack me into little pieces, so this is it! And I was the one who said this would be fun. Thanks again Karin – I think.

#7
    They spied the dog first, lean, long-legged and pale as a moonbeam in the darkness. It passed through the woodland like a wraith, gliding silently from one night shadow to the next as Hugo de Mercure watched from the battlements ““ and waited.

15. Pet
    October 24th, 2007 at 10:02 am · Link

27 For Jersey girl Mel, finding a town called Yeehaw Junction right off the Florida Turnpike, hit her harder than her near death encounter on the road to Nowheresville. Back home in Jersey most everyone faced death by motor vehicle hourly, so the pits had to be that Yeehaw place.

October 24th, 2007 at 1:01 pm · Link

Shattered like a goblet on a tile floor, Sarah Wild’s dreams lay in a tattered heap of shredded white silk and gossamer tulle. Her dress went from bridal perfection to remnants for the ragbag with her quick frenzy of ripping and tearing.

17. Donna
    October 24th, 2007 at 5:00 pm · Link

Hi Karin,

Wanted to give you another big thanks and I’m thrilled to make it to the 2nd round this year. So here goes.
    #59 Ringing phones and telegrams only brought bad news. At two AM, it was guaranteed.

18. Karen Van
    October 25th, 2007 at 12:36 am · Link

#21

Chocolate was made for moments like this. Standing for the first time on a Japanese street corner, I reached into my purse for the Hershey Kiss I had stashed in the zipper compartment for emergencies, but came up with a handful of brown ooze and an empty foil wrapper.

19. Bernita
    October 25th, 2007 at 4:16 am · Link

~horror and shame~
    May I correct a typo in mine?
    “bathroom” – not “bathroon?”

20. Keziah Hill
    October 25th, 2007 at 5:27 am · Link

Lissa, Princess of Horvald, waited for Death. She stood, still and silent in the dank chill of the Great Hall, determined to meet her fate without cowering in fear.

21. Marcia
    October 25th, 2007 at 10:50 am · Link

61. Edward Sarkins placed his rough, ashy hand on the counter of his small booth. I handed the old peddler the ten gold coins a customer had stolen from him two days ago.

22. Lara Rose
    October 25th, 2007 at 1:34 pm · Link

It was right around 10 p.m. that I realized merry widows were made to be ripped off right away, not to be worn for an all-night TV marathon.
    When I’d first put on the incredibly revealing costume””come-fuck-me red lace, satin garters complete with bows, and enough bone and underwire to heft my generous Ds to unbelievable heights””I was thinking about looking hot, not the practicalities of actually wearing it.

23. Lara Rose
    October 25th, 2007 at 1:36 pm · Link

When I’d first put on the incredibly revealing costume “” come-fuck-me red lace, satin garters complete with bows, and enough bone and underwire to heft my generous Ds to unbelievable heights “” I was thinking about looking hot, not the practicalities of actually wearing it.

24. Lara Rose
    October 25th, 2007 at 1:37 pm · Link

Shoot. that posted twice. Sorry. 🙂

25. Jennifer Faye
    October 25th, 2007 at 1:43 pm · Link

#17

“This is your fault,” a male voice thundered.

Bella Nez’s heart lodged in her throat as her gaze met a foreboding stare.

26. Taylor
    October 25th, 2007 at 11:39 am · Link

Ooh, loving this. I have to proof mine, once more, and then I’ll post it.

27. Taylor
    October 25th, 2007 at 2:00 pm · Link

“I bet you taste as good as you smell.” Rayne mumbled against the serving girl’s ample bosom, grabbed at and knocked over his mug of ale and then, on cue, pretended to pass out.

28. Taylor
    October 25th, 2007 at 2:04 pm · Link

oops, I got sidetracked.

Thanks again Karin.

29. Heather W
    October 25th, 2007 at 8:12 pm · Link

I stared at the nine men of my supposed dreams. Of my nightmares, more like, and theirs too judging by their stunned expressions as they stared back at me.

30. Wendi
    October 25th, 2007 at 8:36 pm · Link

Thanks, Karin! There are so many really good lines. What a great contest. 😀

#1 The blood splattered on Maribel Thompson’s pillow and drying on her hand wasn’t hers, and neither were the boxer briefs tangled in her sheets. Her alarm clock lay dead on the floor, its cord snaked between shards of mirror and a trail of blood.

October 25th, 2007 at 11:02 pm · Link

YAY, I’m online again! LOL. Cheers to my Magical Musing partners for making the cut! And these lines are all so awesome. I see so many familiar faces, and wish you all much success here. This is by far the best game in town, hands down.

32. Jordanne
    October 26th, 2007 at 8:17 am · Link

Something was wrong and had been for quite a while now. Exactly what, I had no idea, but it had to be big for me to be summoned up Here.

33. Ciera Darke
    October 26th, 2007 at 8:25 am · Link

He’d heard of fairies at the bottom of the garden, but this one was in his lounge room, and practically naked. Tall, slender and soaking wet, a pair of torn wings in her hand.

34. V. J.
    October 26th, 2007 at 11:00 am · Link

The dust was still settling and there wasn’t time to think. He jumped from his truck and ran toward the overturned SUV, crunching broken glass and indistinguishable bits of automobile under his boots.

35. Dale
    October 26th, 2007 at 6:23 pm · Link

I’m probably last to post on round two, but here it goes.

The frilly bedroom had been recently decorated in red ““ blood red. Panicked, Samantha Blair struggled to move; this wasn’t her room or her bed and it sure as hell wasn’t her body.

36. Diane Della Maggiora
    October 26th, 2007 at 8:43 pm · Link

“Ah, baby, that’s it…just a little…um, yeah…” he urged, his low ragged moan changing to a satisfied growl. Sweat droplets beaded around his receding, yet still dark hairline, and if he opened his eyes to look at her on top of him he would think she was enjoying herself as well–she’d slid her lips into a sexy smile to hide her revulsion.

————
    Thanks, Karin! Great lines everyone! Looking forward to reading more.

37. Poppy
    October 26th, 2007 at 10:19 pm · Link

Finding anyone on a reservation is never easy, even someone dead. Map labels and road signs were never part of this world.

October 27th, 2007 at 2:33 am · Link

okay anything posted after this comment is late.
    Round two is closed.

39. Carol
    October 27th, 2007 at 11:13 am · Link

Best of luck, everyone!

40. Donna
    October 31st, 2007 at 2:56 pm · Link

#42 Ringing phones and telegrams only brought bad news. At two AM, it was guaranteed. Unknown caller glowed on the display, but Nash’s gut told him to answer it anyway.