And the beat goes on
February 6th, 2008

And the beat goes on…

Copy edits are gone. For now. I’m continuing to work on NAUGHTY SANTA. I have way too many pending emails, and my kids are trying my patience.

It’s getting to be a busy time of year for hubby. My daughter’s wedding is looming in the not too distant future. She and her fiancé are trying to buy a house. My youngest son graduates this year, and I have several out of town trips I have committed to and cannot change. I am president of one RWA chapter and VP of Programs for another. I have two books to complete by May 15th. I have several events already scheduled. I blog regularly on three different blogs. I have a business that needs my attention, and I have, or at least try to have, a life.

It occurred to me this afternoon during a conversation with a friend who is going through a difficult time right now that my plate is too full. I have over-committed myself. And unless I plan on disappointing a lot of people I have to keep my big girl panties pulled up tight and move forward. I made commitments I cannot go back on. So with that realization another has come to light.

So as not to go completely crazy, I have decided to bite the bullet on some things and just say no to others. I will not judge any contests this year. I will not crit or read for anyone this year. The next First Line Contest will not commence until probably after the first of November. I might even wait until next year. I am not going to take on anything else. Nothing. Nada. No way. No how. Please don’t ask.

Funny, I don’t feel better saying that. I’m kind of wondering who the hell I’m trying to kid. You or me? I guess it doesn’t matter. I’ll end up doing what I always do, and that is just doing it. It’s how I roll. πŸ˜‰ I learned that phrase from my oldest son. I used it in JADED. I smiled when I wrote it. As I think of what I do, why I do it, and who I’ve met, I continue to smile. It’s what drives me. It’s who I am, and what I am. It adds dimension to me. It’s all good, in a big round about way. A continuous connection with the universe. So, how New Age does that sound? Totally NOT how I roll, but I guess even I am subject to change. Go figure.

Now on to a completely different subject. Tonight is Fat Tuesday, and tomorrow is Ash Wednesday the first day of Lent. ‘Tis the time of year for reflection and sacrifice. As an almost Catholic living amongst cradle Catholics I have decided for Lent to give up all sugar and white carbs. I have also given up dropping eff-bombs (except where necessary in the ol’ books). I will also try to be a better person. But, I’m not sure how that will all work out. Think about this cocktail: Too much on my plate. Giving up carbs, and no swearing for 40 days? Hmm, sounds like a recipe for destruction to me. Hah! If I’m still here by March 23rd, I will have accomplished the impossible!

How about you? Do you give up something for Lent and really try to make a change for the better in your life? Or are you scratching your head wondering what the hell I’m talking about?

K* who is already feeling the effects of the thought of no white carbs for 40 days…

20 comments to “And the beat goes on”

February 6th, 2008 at 2:20 am · Link

People give up the F-bomb for Lent? Whoa, dude. If you can do it, you’re my hero…er well, I mean outside of the normal you’re my hero standards.

February 6th, 2008 at 2:22 am · Link

F&^%$#g A Johnny! πŸ™‚
    Cele, I have been hanging around my hubby too long.

3. Holly D
    February 6th, 2008 at 9:51 am · Link

Karin,
    You make me tired just reading everything you have to do. I’m impressed with all that you get done, manage to write awesome books, and help those of us still unpublished get a leg up. Again, you are sending out amazing good karma.

I’m giving up bad words and fast food. I should be completely insane by the end.

4. Jaci Burton
    February 6th, 2008 at 10:03 am · Link

I so understand overextended and the need to say ‘no’. It’s really hard for me to say no…I’m Italian AND Catholic. πŸ˜‰

No bread? No spaghetti? Ack. I’ll pray for you. *g*

February 6th, 2008 at 12:12 pm · Link

I’m with Holly. I got tired just reading your list of to-dos. I’m not Catholic, so nothing for Lent here. When I was in HS though, all my friends were Catholic, so I’d give things up just to commiserate.

Good luck with giving up the F-bomb. I don’t use it often, but it is so perfect in certain situations.

February 6th, 2008 at 12:13 pm · Link

As a once-Catholic I can understand the meaning behind Lent and it is a good reason to reflect on what you don’t need in your life, but so terribly want. So…in the spirit of the season I will give up Starbuck’s for Lent. I will save money and whittle my big butt down at the same time.

7. Poppy
    February 6th, 2008 at 2:33 pm · Link

Sigh. No chocolate cake? What is the world coming to?

No Lent here either. Good thing to. I’d cheat and then feel bad. Delayed gratification not my strong suit.

8. Poppy
    February 6th, 2008 at 2:35 pm · Link

That’s “Good thing, too”

February 6th, 2008 at 2:50 pm · Link

Poppy? Chocolate cake isn’t a white carb. Is it?

February 6th, 2008 at 3:37 pm · Link

Karin, most chocolate cakes and candy have sugar in them. If you can go without that for 40 days, you’re my hero. Of course, there’s the sugarless kind, but I don’t like the substitutes. At least I know what sugar is.

Good for you for saying no. Your schedule would make me crazy. I don’t know how you get it all done, but you do.

February 6th, 2008 at 4:06 pm · Link

does splenda count?

12. Poppy
    February 6th, 2008 at 9:45 pm · Link

Splenda has like 24 grams of carbs per cup. Don’t know if that’s a lot.

Chocolate cake is a triple white carb, flour, sugar and powdered sugar.

13. Kara
    February 6th, 2008 at 10:39 pm · Link

White carbs AND the f-bomb. Are you insane? As a Catholic girl at heart I always try to find something to give up. This year it’s chocolate. But not all sweets… I’d be a Jell-O mass huddled in the corner, mumbling incoherently by the end of 40 days if I couldn’t have any sugar.

February 7th, 2008 at 12:07 am · Link

Okay, so let me clarify here. No white carbs as in no white pasta, flour tortillas, potatoes, white bread or processed sugar. There. Now, I can have whole wheat products, sweet potatoes, corn tortillas, and fake sugar.

Poppy bake the freakin’ cake with Splenda so I can have some of it Monday!

15. Poppy
    February 7th, 2008 at 2:36 am · Link

but then I can’t eat it! I don’t eat artificial food products.

I think I know a bakery that makes splenda cupcakes. I’ll buy some

16. J. Carson Black
    February 7th, 2008 at 8:49 am · Link

As I former Catholic girl who still feels the tug of Lent, I am graciously giving up brocolli. πŸ˜‰

17. Diane Della Maggiora
    February 7th, 2008 at 4:45 pm · Link

Is splenda an artificial sweetener? I thought it was a sugar derivative so it was considered a natural sweetener. How about making chocolate cake with whole wheat flour and honey? Now that would be interesting. LOL.

February 7th, 2008 at 7:55 pm · Link

Karin, have no clue how you do it all, just glad you’re putting a little brake to the action there. You are one busy gal. So, I’m glad you’re saying “No” for a while. It doesn’t change who you are, you’re just really busy now. Now the lent thing might change things, shake them up a bit. 😯 Double whammy. I don’t do Lent, but then again I’m not Catholic. Keep us posted on the progress, and stick to your guns buckaroo! You’ve got things to do, people to see!

19. Amie Stuart
    February 8th, 2008 at 7:56 pm · Link

I’ve heard, and believe, Splenda makes you crave sugar. I use Stevia–at least it’s natural. Good luck m’dear I dont envy you (and I am SO feeling your pain on the overextended this week)

February 10th, 2008 at 6:57 pm · Link

you girls are not helping me out here!