Happy Monday Brings Cynthia Eden!!!
May 12th, 2008

Please welcome my guest today, uber talented, Cynthia Eden!

The Beauty of Escapism >(And a little contest!)

Hi, everyone! First, a big thank you to Karin for inviting me to her blog. 🙂 It sure is nice be here.

Today, I thought I’d talk a bit about the absolute joy of escapism. Come on, you know what I mean. When you open a book and you slide into that story—you escape and begin a whole new adventure.

Don’t get me wrong. I really like my life, but sometimes, well, I want to get away from the mile-high pile of laundry or the broken air conditioner troubles or the worries about the engine light that is flashing in my car or—well, I think you get the idea.

When I open a book, I get to escape. Sometimes I go into worlds populated by vampires or demons—and sometimes I find myself in the Middle Ages. And I forget my everyday woes for a while and just enjoy myself.

For a very long time, reading was my perfect escape—and then I started writing and realized that crafting my own world—oh, yeah, now that’s a perfect escape. I can make my world any way I want, with any characters I want, and I can have myself one wonderful time.

I sure had a wonderful time when I wrote HOTTER AFTER MIDNIGHT, my May release from Kensington Brava. This was a story that I wrote for me—it wasn’t contracted, wasn’t due on anyone’s desk. It was just a story that stirred up in my mind, and it was one that wouldn’t let me go. So I wrote this story—I wrote about Dr. Emily Drake, my psychologist who only treats paranormal patients (and I sure had fun creating her patients!) and Colin Gyth, the wolf-shifter police detective who slowly steals her heart—even as the two of them fight to catch a killer. Oh, yes, this story was pure escapism for me—and truly one of the best adventures I’ve had.

But what about you? Do you feel the need to escape every now and then? And do you escape into a good book or is there another method of relaxation you enjoy? Leave me a comment and one winner will be selected to win an autographed copy of WHEN HE WAS BAD (my June 08 Kensington Brava anthology with Shelly Laurenston).

Thanks!

Cynthia Eden
www.cynthiaeden.com
HOTTER AFTER MIDNIGHT—Available now from Kensington Brava
WHEN HE WAS BAD—Available May 27, 2008 from Kensington Brava
Believe in monsters. They believe in you.

From Karin:ps, I would have posted Cynthia’s beeuteeful cover, but cyber retard that I am, I can’t figure it out. Go check out her site!

21 comments to “Happy Monday Brings Cynthia Eden!!!”

1. Crystal B.
    May 12th, 2008 at 8:23 am · Link

Hi Cynthia. Yes, I do feel the need to escape occasionally. For me, reading a good book helps to ease stress.

May 12th, 2008 at 9:18 am · Link

Cindy, I LOVE to escape in the pages of a book. I should do that some time for a book, write it for my escape. I don’t do that now. When I write, I can practically hear my synapses snapping and my brain cells buzzing. When I’m reading a great book, it’s different. I don’t think as much and I feel more. The writer has already done the thinking for me. 😉

May 12th, 2008 at 9:25 am · Link

I used to spend a lot of time escaping, and books were my main source of getting away from reality. I could suck down three romances a day without blinking. I don’t need it so much any more, but when I really need an escape, I slip into a light book or a silly movie. Nothing epic, nothing thought-provoking – just what I like to call ‘brain candy’. =o)

4. Nathalie
    May 12th, 2008 at 9:44 am · Link

Hi Cynthia,
    I completely agree with you, my books are my escape from reality. It’s great to be able to lose yourself in another world and to be able to live someone else’s life for a little while, lol.
    I just started reading HOTTER AFTER MIDNIGHT, i really love what I’ve read so far. I’m definetely going to be reading more of your books!
    =)

5. Liz Kreger
    May 12th, 2008 at 9:45 am · Link

Awesome post, Cynthia. I just mentioned over at MagicalMusings that I picked up your book “Hotter After Midnight” and am thoroughly enjoying it.

I know what you mean about escaping into your own world. That’s what I love about reading and writing paranormals. Pure escapism. Its even better when I’m reading a very talented author and think “yeah, I can totally see that happening.”

6. Cynthia Eden
    May 12th, 2008 at 11:11 am · Link

Karin–thanks again for inviting me to you wonderful blog! 🙂

Hi, Crystal! Reading a book really eases my stress level, too.

Edie, I think your synapses are always busy, lady! I get the idea you’re a woman who is generally fast at work plotting and mapping out stories.

Thank you, LaDonna! Oh, the beach–combine that with a good book and I think it’s the perfect day.

B.E., I find that when I’m feeling stressed, books are just the perfect release from me. They always let me forget my worries for a while.

Thank you so much, Nathalie! I hope you enjoy the rest of the book! 🙂 And I completely agree about being able to “live someone else’s life for a little while”–I feel that way, too!

Hello, Liz! Thank you!
    I absolutely love it when I get so drawn into a story that I can’t put it down, and like you said, suddenly you start believing (that wonderful suspension of disbelief!) and you think yep, that could happen. Ah, now that’s a great read then!

Thank you all for the comments!!

7. Holly D
    May 12th, 2008 at 11:16 am · Link

Welcome, Cynthia.

Of course I escape into books. I have a husband, of 18 years today and 5 kids. I need an escape and luckily for me books are the perfect escape. Better than any vacation out there.

8. Marcie
    May 12th, 2008 at 12:12 pm · Link

Hi, Cynthia! Oh, I love to escape into books–movies, too! Always nice to get away. 🙂

May 12th, 2008 at 9:20 am · Link

Hey, Cynthia! I love the story behind, Hotter After Midnight. Those are the best books, the ones we write for ourselves. And reading and writing are two of the best escapes IMO. I also love the beach, and being on the lake. Of course, I’m usually doing one of the above there as well. What can I say? 🙂

May 12th, 2008 at 1:03 pm · Link

Cynthia, I too always have looked at my writing as escaping. I really love to lose myself in a story and forget everything going on around me. Life is very good when that happens.

11. J. Carson Black
    May 12th, 2008 at 1:23 pm · Link

Cynthia, I love to escape into a book, and I love to escape into my own writing, especially when a scene is going well. (I kind of fall in love with myself–for a while.)

Last summer I decided to reread LONESOME DOVE. About three days in, I don’t think I did anything but read, eat, *maybe* I bathed—I just gave myself over to that book and was worthless regarding anything else until I finished it. And even then, I wished the book would keep going.

When an author can do that, it’s a very special gift.

12. jane
    May 12th, 2008 at 3:54 pm · Link

Hi Cynthia,
    Books are and easy and cheap way to escape. I usually relax by reading or watching tv, but I wish I could afford to get a massage everytime I’m stressed out. Food is also a great stress reliever. Ice cream, cookies and chocolate are a few of my favorites.

13. Cynthia Eden
    May 12th, 2008 at 4:55 pm · Link

LOL, Holly–love your comment!

Hello, Marice! Movies are another one of my escapes, too! I saw Ironman recently–loved escaping into that one!

Hi, Karin! You’ve just perfectly described my situation! 🙂 Thanks, again, for inviting me to blog today!

J. Carson–now THAT is real escapism.

Jane, chocolate is a favorite stress reliever of mine–always makes my day better. And home-made ice cream–especially on a hot summer day–another sweet escape.

Thanks, April! “Books and authors are really a gift of hope.” What a beautiful comment.

14. Janet H
    May 12th, 2008 at 6:04 pm · Link

Cynthia, Oh Yes! I just love to escape into a new fantasy. Try on someone else’s shoes so to speak. And those gifted authors who bring these characters to life have my respect.

Nothing better than a good book, unless you’re reading it on a beautiful summer afternoon with dark chocolate and a cool drink.

15. Sue A.
    May 12th, 2008 at 6:14 pm · Link

I don’t know what I would do without writers! Because when I want to escape it is into a book or a movie. Armchair traveling is much better than taking a real trip. No lineups, long waits, lost luggage, airport hassles, traffic jams, etc…

16. Jeanette Jackson
    May 12th, 2008 at 6:49 pm · Link

I do like to escape also. It isn’t because I hate my life but it is pretty routine. Reading takes me away to places I’ll never visit

May 12th, 2008 at 6:59 pm · Link

I love the escape of a good book. I can be a princess or a pirate queen, a fairy or a kickass P.I. The horizon is endless.

18. Cynthia Eden
    May 12th, 2008 at 10:39 pm · Link

Janet–you’ve sure described what sounds like one wonderful day to me!

Hi, Sue! Ah, but it sure does have those benefits, doesn’t it? I’d take a book over an airplane flight any day of the week!

Jeanette, I certainly agree! I love to read about new places–what a great release!

Amanda, I do love to about all those characters! 🙂 Ah, the joy of a good book.

Thank you all for the comments!!

19. danette
    May 13th, 2008 at 1:39 am · Link

Hi Cynthia,

I’m so happy that your escapism book made it to the shelves. It’s absolutely fabulous!

I love to escape into a good book or go out and sit on the beach and drift off listening to the ocean. We all need that place where we get away and leave the worries behind. If only for a few moments.

Hugs, Danette

May 13th, 2008 at 1:45 am · Link

Cynthia, thank you so much for being my guest today!!!!

21. Pam P
    May 13th, 2008 at 2:11 am · Link

Reading is the best way for me to relax destress, especially when I was working long hours at a demanding job. When my mind just won’t shut off about what I need to do, should be doing, lol, picking up a book blots out everything else. Love to go on a beach vacation and escape into reading to chill out.