MOB
September 29th, 2008

duties call. Engaged daughter and I spent the better part of the weekend doing wedding related stuff. At a bridal tea yesterday, hosted by my Mother-in-law, I um, had a few too many mimosas, came home, took a nap and felt groggy for the rest of the night. No writing at all this weekend. I miss my story!

The wedding is like19 days away and I have so many lose ends to take care of I’m really beginning to feel the pressure. The kids finally booked their Hawaiian honeymoon yesterday. They went back and forth on exactly which island and for how long, but they are both happy, so the MOB (mother of the bride) is happy. And what really made me happy was finding the perfect shoes Saturday to go with my bee-u-tee-ful dress. Of course, I need to get fitted for it tomorrow, and would rather not, but whatev.

We meet tomorrow with the event coordinator at the country club to finalize the reception details. There I’m in great ands. Not only is this person the best EC I know, but she is a family friend and she adores my daughter so I know when we walk into that room after the ceremony it’s going to be picture perfect. Everyone I have worked with: photographer, florist, baker, linen, DJ, dress shops, and the church have been incredible. I feel very fortunate that we are in such good hands. And, they all want this event to come off without one glitch. I know that on their end all will be perfect. I told my daughter and son-in-law the other day after some drama not of their doing showed up at their doorstep, “Look, at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is that you two show up in the church and the priest is there to marry you. Nothing and no one else matters.” And I meant it. Sure, I want this wedding to be beautiful, elegant, and memorable, but at the end of the day it’s about two people who love each other, and who want to spend the rest of their lives together pledging that promise before god.

I know issues are going to pop up, but like I told my kid, “Think of the worse case scenario, then ask yourself, does it really matter so long as you get married?”

It’s going to be my mantra for the next 2 and a half weeks.

Okay, so, does anyone have any OMG! wedding moments they’d like to share?

Oh, and PS, hop on over to Murder She Writes. All week, we’re giving away prezzies to the commenters who guess who the five new lethal ladies will be.

15 comments to “MOB”

1. Kendra
    September 29th, 2008 at 1:14 pm · Link

It’s the things that go wrong that make weddings memorable. The errors give you something to laugh about ten years down the road.

After my husband and I had left our reception and things were dying down, one of his “friends” spotted an untapped keg of beer behind the bar at the country club. He assumed we’d already paid for the beer and it shouldn’t go to waste. The restaurant manager and two big bartenders caught him in the parking lot with the keg on his shoulder.

September 29th, 2008 at 1:51 pm · Link

Kendra that’s what I keep telling myself! And how funny about the runaway keg. I could see something like that happening at my oldest son’s wedding.

3. Liz L
    September 29th, 2008 at 2:01 pm · Link

Karin, take a deep breath. It will all be over soon and your baby will be (to quote B. Streisand) a Sadie, Sadie, married lady.”

After my daughter’s wedding (7 pm) at a Catholic Church (really long!!), the photographer wanted to take pictures at the alter. My SIL comes from a huge family, and that photog. wanted pictures of everybody and their mother, it seemed. I was really getting nervous because it was already 9ish, and my large family likes to eat! When we got to the Marriott, we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel had seen the dilemma and broke out the champagne. Everyone was pretty tipsy when we got there and frankly, sorry to see us arrive since the champagne was exchanged for the food!

This will be one of the happiest days of your daughter’s life, and yours as well (nothing beats grandbabies!!). Stand back, don’t worry about the small things (there is no big stuff!!) and watch your baby blossom before your very eyes as she marries her hero.

Congrats. (We miss you on the loop!)

September 29th, 2008 at 2:09 pm · Link

Liz the kids are getting married in the Catholic church, and we have one hour! And maybe 20 min after for pics before confession begins! The good thing is the church is just down the street from where we’re having the reception and there will be alcohol and munchies aplenty for the guests who arrive ahead of us.

Every time I’m sitting in the pew at church I get all emotional thinking of my daughter walking down the aisle. It’s going to be a very emotional day for all of us, and I can’t wait.

And I miss you all on the loop too. I get the digest and so many times have wanted to pop in, but I have had to restrain myself. I need to get through the next few weeks and then, I’ll be back!

5. HollyD
    September 29th, 2008 at 2:18 pm · Link

You have the absolute right attitude. Little things will go not exactly according to plan, but like you said at the end of the day as long as the two of them say I do, that’s the only thing that matters.

Ours was also a Catholic ceremony. During the ceremony I remembered that I had left my flowers for the Virgin Mother in my car. When that part came up I whispered to the priest what happened and he changed the wording so that the non-catholics didn’t have a clue and we walked over and observed a moment of silence.

September 29th, 2008 at 3:40 pm · Link

Holly, I think my florist is going to deliver that bouquet along with the rest of the church arrangements. But I will double check!

Amanda, I know it’s going to be lovely, and my soon to be son-in-law is a keeper.

September 29th, 2008 at 5:21 pm · Link

Karin, it’s going to be awesome. Do you think you’ll cry? What about hubby?

My son and dil were married in an outside ceremony at a lake. In April. It was cold and my dil was visibly shivering. Right after the ceremony, I had my husband give his black leather motorcycle jacket to her. My dil is pretty and slender, and the best pictures of her were in her white wedding dress wearing the biker leather jacket.

September 29th, 2008 at 2:40 pm · Link

Karin, it will be a wonderful day. When my daughter got married I stressed all the days before. The day of the wedding I took a deep breath and let out all the stress. What would happen, would happen, it was now out of my hands. It was a beautiful wedding, terrible marriage, but beautiful wedding. LOL

9. Margaret
    September 29th, 2008 at 5:52 pm · Link

Ah, weddings! I love weddings. A tornado hit Tulsa the night before my wedding. We had about 3 inches of rain dumped and ruined the backyard BBQ we had planned for the rehearsal dinner. This was the last time my immediate family was together–roughly 38 people–parents (2), siblings (8), grandchildren (a horde), even a coupld of great-grand kiddos. So with Todd’s family, we were at about 50 people.
    The tornado destroyed a church 1/4 of a mile away from my church (no injuries). We just lost electricity. I was concerned about the reception at the parish hall–cold food/hot food, lighting, etc. But what could we really do? Okay, I sweated…a lot! It was June, in freakin’ Oklahoma. I shouldn’t have to say anymore!
    The priest remarked on the fact neither my hubby and I were stressing over the ‘ruined’ wedding day, and until then, most of the guests didn’t even know the electricity was out.
    I was bummed that we had to shorten our reception–I didn’t get to talk to everyone–but oh, well.
    Even people who didn’t go to my wedding, remember my wedding. 🙂
    Margaret

September 29th, 2008 at 8:21 pm · Link

My husband and I got married by a JOP and had two people who worked at the courthouse be our witnesses, so no drama there. But I worked for a wedding DJ service for a couple years. I’ve seen more drama than I think you want to hear about (and that’s part of the reason I wanted the wedding I eventually got).

The biggest thing that sticks out for drama, though, were all the brides who I found crying in the bathroom at the reception. Totally stressed out and missing the fun because one thing or another didn’t go right. They forgot the most important things about getting married – like the beginning of a lifetime with the one person who makes them complete. I’m so glad you told your daughter not to forget that. A wedding is one night. Marriage is forever. =oD

(And if you really want to hear the horror stories, let me know. Added up, there’s no way a single wedding could fall below all that.)

September 30th, 2008 at 2:41 am · Link

Margaret! OMG a tornado???

And Beth, I can only imagine the drama. Share share share. Enquiring minds want to know!

12. Margaret
    September 30th, 2008 at 6:50 am · Link

I used to really like Dr. Phil, now he simply gets on my nerves, but he did say one thing that has really resonated with me. My apologies if I’ve misquoted, but here’s the jist of it.
    “A wedding lasts only a day, while a marriage lasts a lifetime.”
    Margaret

September 30th, 2008 at 8:23 am · Link

Heh. Let’s see…

There was the same-sex wedding where a male guest got overly touchy with bride#1’s teen nephew and they had to call the cops to remove the man.

And the night the DJ’s tires got slashed because he wouldn’t play a song for a belligerent drunk. (Especially since the bride specifically asked he not play the song.) Also the wedding where the couple got sued afterwards because one of their drunk guests killed someone on his way home.

Or the one where the groom did a strip-tease on the dance floor. He got all the way to his tightie-whities before his father stopped him.

Come to think of it, a lot of the drama involved either way too much alcohol and police involvement (or both).

Of course, there were a lot of good weddings, too. At one, the bride and maid of honor did the Electric Slide – just the two of them. They planned it weeks in advance. About halfway through, the groom and best man joined in. Then more people and more people until the whole gathering was doing it. If I hadn’t been working, I’d have been out there. Or one wedding where a dozen different little things went wrong, and the bride just laughed at it all. (She was so happy – nothing was going to effect that.)

September 30th, 2008 at 2:44 pm · Link

Ah, Karin, you’re gonna be beautious in that dress! Let’s see for memories, my youngest was married at the Officer’s Club on base. Really beautiful place. Anyway, the damn limo got lost and never arrived. We’re all outside after the ceremony, and the happy couple walks through the traditional sword-arch. And we waited, and waited. I ran into the office and called after several minutes had passed. Needless to say, they left by car, and the charge was never applied. Still, her sister had the limo experience, and we wanted our youngest to have it too. But, the wedding was lovely and they have a great life together. Looking back, it wasn’t such a big thing after all.

September 30th, 2008 at 2:47 pm · Link

LOL, ah they were married in a church, and the reception was at the officer’s club. Anyhoo, the damn limo never showed at the church!