Slammin’ Jammin’ and Hammin’
October 5th, 2008

Wulfy's twin

Okay, so if you are reading this on Monday, go on over to Murder She Writes and check out the new site and the new goils!  I’m so excited.  I am very happy to already call Rocki, Toni and Sylvia dear friends, and am so excited to get to know Debra Webb and Heather Graham!!  So, this means I will be blogging only every other Friday at MSW, which is cool, I’ll be sure to blog here on the opposite Friday.

I’m really excited right now.  The wedding is coming along really nicely. The best part is I can pay for everything!  I was sweating it there for a few weeks, but despite the economy, I have pulled a rabbit out of my hat.  Whew.  I can’t wait to see my brother, and neither can the kids. My oldest son thinks his uncle is some kind of playmate.  All of the guys are getting kicked out of the house the night before the wedding and staying at a local hotel and well, I hope they show up in one piece the next morning!

I am sort of behind on MASTER OF CRAVING (the story lives up to the name btw) not so much in word count, I’m halfway there, but story wise I’m behind, and frankly, I’m going to need more room, like 10K more words.  My historicals always come in just under 100K words, and if I can con my editor into say 5K over that, I’ll be a vera happy camper.  The story has three very distinct acts and I want to give each its due.  And BTW?  The hot pic of the knight with the double swords? He bears a remarkable resemblance to Wulfson de Trevelyn, the hero in MASTER OF TORMENT.

So, life is chugging along at a nice clip.  Since at this point I don’t have any questions for It’s Just Business Tuesday I’m going to talk about reviews.  But if someone sneaks in a biz question by Monday night I’ll answer and post on Tuesday and chat about reviews Thursday.

So, now I am off to start a pot of Italian pork chops, a nice way to kick off the autumn menu and then back to the story.  I so want a nice glass of Chianti, Nozzole Classico, is my fave, but when I drink wine I can’t write.  I’m such a light weight!

So what’s cookin’ in your kitchen?  Do you have any fave dishes you only cook when the weather cools?

PS, those crazy chicks over at WriteMinded are giving away a crap load of books this week and next.  Go check them out!

25 comments to “Slammin’ Jammin’ and Hammin’”

October 5th, 2008 at 4:06 pm · Link

Karin, the guy is hot! Congrats on learning how to put up pictures. I don’t know how many times Michelle walked me through it before I got it.

And congrats on your progress with your book! How many books did you write this year? It seems like you’ve been doing a lot.

We went out to eat last night and have leftovers tonight. Eggplant parmegan for me and barbequed ribs for my husband. His ribs were falling off the bones. I wish I’d ordered them.

We make pumpkin and apple pie this time of year. I was thinking of making chicken soup sometime this week. 🙂

2. Margaret
    October 5th, 2008 at 6:54 pm · Link

Okay, now where do you find photos like this? Hotguys.com?
    Winter comfort food: Homemade marinara, homemade meat sauce, chili, soups, etc. I’m big on the comfort foods in winter. Hubby claims he would be lost if I died and he tried to make my sauce. I mainly is just tossing stuff in until it tastes right. 🙂

October 5th, 2008 at 7:24 pm · Link

Edie, the only difference between hotty shown and hotty in TORMENT is hotty in TORMENT has longer hair.
    Pumpkin pie sounds really good, Edie.

Margaret, you just need to know where the hot guys are!

I haven’t made chili in a loooong time. That with some jalapeno corn bread and a couple of cold brewskies sounds good.

4. HollyD
    October 5th, 2008 at 8:53 pm · Link

You always have a lot going on. I know you’ll nail the book, just like you always do.

The foods I’ll be making chicken noodle soup; chili; boneless barbeque ribs; & ham, green beans, and white potatoes. All made in the crockpot. I also make a lot of chicken alfredo, chicken parmesan,and garlic chicken w/ angelhair pasta.

October 5th, 2008 at 9:58 pm · Link

I’m so glad everything is working out for you with the wedding. Those things can be a killer on the finances.

Cooler weather means I can bake again without cooking myself in the process. Yay. Cookies, cakes, breads. Then there are the soups and stews and chili… Mmmm. But with the move over, the diet is back on again. I guess I’ll cook up a storm and give it all away. I already promised to bake a bunch of stuff for the friend who helped me move. I can’t wait. =o)

October 6th, 2008 at 1:04 am · Link

Holly, my daughter cooks with a crock pot and she is really good at it. I have a really nice one, and forget I have it. Chicken parmesan is on the cold weather menu aloud here. It’s my oldest son’s fave.

Beth, it’s all coming together seamlessly. 🙂 And baking? OMG! my MIL makes the best biscotti, and the men in my devour them. She made these chocolate dipped toffee ones the other day, they sure were good with my coffee…so much for losing weight huh? I’m not a very good baker. Wanna bake me some cookies? 🙂

7. Michelle
    October 6th, 2008 at 4:34 am · Link

Well, this side of the world it is supposed to be heating up. I say supposed to be because it isn’t. Brrrr. I’ve made chicken sweet corn soup, Cape Malay chicken curry, and lamb stew the last few nights. And blueberry and white chocolate muffins.

LOVE the pic.

October 6th, 2008 at 7:37 am · Link

Don’t tempt me, Karin, or we’ll both be sorry. I’d bake you a batch of cookies and eat half. LOL But I wouldn’t be surprised if one of these days I ask you for ship-to address and you get your wish. ;o) My daughter and I have a tradition of baking boatloads of cookies at x-mas to give away.

9. Kendra
    October 6th, 2008 at 8:34 am · Link

The new MSW site is hot!

I don’t cook much. I have three of the pickiest eaters in the world and a husband who prefers to eat what he makes after the rest of us go to bed. During the winter I’ll make Chili’s Tortilla soup or a heavenly beer cheese soup. And nothing beats pot roast and mashed potatoes on a cold night. Of course, no one eats any of these but me. Takes the fun out of it.

10. Kath Calarco
    October 6th, 2008 at 9:54 am · Link

Boring as it sounds, macaroni and cheese. It’s a favorite here (and I don’t use plain old cheddar – I’m a creative cooker!). Also, baking is a biggie, too. It isn’t Autumn without the smell of baking in the house.

October 6th, 2008 at 11:14 am · Link

I have to chime in, MSW is new, bright, and shiny looking.

Yesterday day I caught a break in the Frisco game and they showed a couple of newly weds at Golden Gate Park in all their finery. It made me think of your soontobe but not quite newly weds.

Chicken and dumplings (my husband’s fav), his mom’s old fashioned Mac and cheese recipe, two types of chili, and minestrone.

October 6th, 2008 at 11:15 am · Link

I have to chime in, MSW is new, bright, and shiny looking.

October 6th, 2008 at 1:00 pm · Link

Michele, how is down there? and the chicken curry and lamb stew sound delish!

Beth, the kids and I are going to bake for the holidays this year. Sigh, after the wedding I will have no money left.

Kendra, I love the new site! And I love our additions. Lot’s a great energy over there. There is a recipe for Chilis’ tortilla soup? Have you had their mad potatoes and cheese soup? OMG! So bad, bad, bad!

Kath, I love a good mac and cheese!

Cele, the new site is bright and shiny. 🙂 I have never made chicken and dumplings. I think my family might like that (I know my fil woudl!), care to share the recipe?

14. Mary
    October 6th, 2008 at 1:04 pm · Link

okay I searched the quickies where is your chicken parm. recipe? You need to post it. I love roast pork & potatoes in the winter and almost anything that cooks low and slow in the oven keeps the house warm and smelling yummie!!!

15. Mary
    October 6th, 2008 at 1:04 pm · Link

16. Poppy
    October 6th, 2008 at 4:05 pm · Link

Great pic. Jocelyn should so have gone with Count Adhemar instead of puppy-dog Heath Ledger’s pseudo-Knight.

I tried making stew for the cold weather, but it didn’t turn out. Sadly, I’m not a very good cook. I tend to forget ingredients, burn dishes, or dump something into the wrong pot so that the custard pudding has peas and the beef stew, sugar. I can bake tho, and actually do know how to do a few things from my gram: fried chicken and homemade mac and cheese, chicken pot pies, beef stroganoff.

October 6th, 2008 at 5:50 pm · Link

Poppy it’s ok if you accidentally put sugar in the stew. Your cupcakes make up for it!

18. Poppy
    October 6th, 2008 at 7:33 pm · Link

It’s cookies this month. Have to get the Halloween packages off the nieces and nephews. I figure “no sugar allowed” doesn’t apply to aunties. 🙂

19. Laurie
    October 6th, 2008 at 9:45 pm · Link

Wow, you’re one busy woman these days! I admire you for keeping it all together!

Cold weather faves at our house are soup, soup and more soup – you name it – chili, veggie, bean with ham, chicken noodle. Can’t forget the cabbage rolls, chicken and dressing casserole and lasagna! I like to bake more than I like to cook though, so we have lots of bread, muffins, cookies and cake.. Hey, we need those extra calories to stay warm, right???

October 6th, 2008 at 9:55 pm · Link

Poppy send some north!

Hey, Laurie, how are you? I’m not a great baker, but this thread has intrigued me in so far as I have never really given myself a chance at baking. Maybe I should? But I like really bad stuff.

October 8th, 2008 at 10:45 am · Link

Okay I totally cheat on this recipe, but my family sucks it up, and my fil loved it. So in my own opinion it’s easy, hot, and great tasting.
    And it’s a crockpot recipe so it’s great for working people.

Needed 1 crockpot

2 large chicken breast w/ skin
    one large onion peeled and diced
    garlic
    water

cook on 1 hour high heat, 6 hours or so low heat
    remove chicken from broth (cool and break up)

In a dutch oven on stove

bring broth to a low boil
    mix in Bisquick to thicken
    and three envelopes of Liptons cream of chicken cup a soup
    add chicken back in

mix up Bisquick for dumplings according to package
    but add 1 packet of Liptons cream of chicken cup a soup

spoon on top of hot liquid mixture
    cover
    and cook at a high simmer for 20 minutes.

Dish up.

October 8th, 2008 at 7:16 pm · Link

Cele, this sounds scrumptious! mucho thank you!

October 8th, 2008 at 7:23 pm · Link

Cool pic, Karin! I’m just so happy you’re flying along with life and your work. Way to go! 🙂 Also, the pork chops sound yummy. I’ll be fixing chilli tonight, and love the chicken noddle soups and cornbread this time of year. I look forward to my daughter’s Winter Stew on Halloween night. So good!

24. Mary
    October 9th, 2008 at 7:46 am · Link

so Kars, when ya gonna share the chicken parm. recipe?

Cele, am headin to the store – sounds fabo.

October 9th, 2008 at 2:09 pm · Link