First Line Round Two!
December 15th, 2008

Congrats to the 80 lines that made it to the next round!

If you see your first line below, you have until midnight this Friday to post it and a second line!  Remember, stick to your original line!  No changes!

I’d also like to invite you all to hop on over to Lust in Time, a really sexy blog place. I’ll be hanging out there for most of the week beginning today.  And there are books to be had!  So come on by, introduce yourself, and hang out. I think you’ll really dig it.

Also, the second round of American Title V is underway! http://www.romantictimes.com/news_amtitle3.php

Go vote!  I did.  Multiple times, (hint hint Dead People).

1. The culinary Casanova was at it again.

2. Even after he was dead, my father’s obsession with magic continued to color my life.

3. Thick clouds of steam puffed out of manhole covers and sewer grates, making it extra hard for Henry to see while driving in the dark.

4. “You want me to do what?” Ainsley asked, nearly choking on her tea at her mother’s announcement.

5. I wish alcohol didn’t exist.

6. The mansion loomed eerily through the swirling mist, a sinister shadow against the backdrop of a storm darkened sky.

7. It was going to be a dark and stormy night once Hurricane Lex stopped flirting with the coast and got his hands down Savannah’s pants.

8. Sin in stilettos hunted him.

9. The piercing pain in her chest grew worse, but she couldn’t stop running.

10. I squeezed the trigger, the noise of the gun deafening in the confined space of the elevator.

11. Kudzu ran rampant along the hillsides of the Ozarks as it stretched its leafy tendrils engulfing everything in its path, choking out the native plants.

12. Traveling through time hurts, at least for the broker.

13. His life consisted of death.

14. “That man would have taken you off my hands had you shown one iota of intelligence.”

15. Showing up to host a top-rated morning drive-time radio show nursing the mother of all hangovers Shepard Stein could handle, carrying on a coherent conversation with a husky voiced, sexy-as-hell sounding listener was going to cost him.

16. The man slouched on the edge of the bed, his fingers clutching the deadly syringe hidden in his jacket pocket.

17. Fate had painted a bull’s-eye on my back.

18. “We have a visual on the boat,” Coast Guard Lt. Commander Jake Carver reported.

19. Seven lockers down, my boyfriend was making out with Cheryl, the way-too-perky head cheerleader.

20. Sometimes even a bounty hunter needed a night off, especially one on the hunt for a wayward Gypsy prince.

21. Nadia Reynolds’ cheatin’ SOB of a husband had dumped her for a twenty-something with plastic tits, telling Nadia he didn’t find her attractive any longer.

22. Sitting in a graffiti-smeared cell on a Sunday afternoon wasn’t what Molly Hicks would call a good way to end a weekend.

23. Silence in the idling Cadillac grew as stale as the gunpowder in the air.

24. It was feeding time and humans were the only thing on the menu.

25. Looking back, my mid-life crisis began on a Tuesday in March, right there on aisle twelve of the local supermarket between the laxatives and the condoms.

26. Megan Trent jerked out of a deep sleep at the sound of her clock radio turning on and off by itself in a rapid beat of white noise and eerie silence.

27. Blind dates were the work of the devil, and Presley Gordon’s best friend was the devil’s apprentice.

28. She was going to die.

29. I wobbled into my apartment, legs wide, as if I’d spent the last seven hours on a horse.

30. How could her friend bring her to such a barbaric event?

31. Jill tried to stand straighter, though the handcuffs bit into her wrists.

32. The best thing about being an heiress – the low expectations.

33. Only a few cars remained outside “The Hood,” the Sacramento dance club Bryn Donovon and her best friend Christine Lucas had decided to try out along with a bunch of other college kids.

34. Ephraim MacNeill would kill anyone who stood in his way.

35. It may sound odd, but sometimes moments in life seem to have a distinct smell.

36. Jackson Taylor’s toes clenched as he came abruptly awake, the left side of his body shivering.

37. “Zeus has summoned you.”

38. “What do you mean I’m not on your list?”

39. It came to Nick Holloway, gradually, that he was lying on cold, hard concrete.

40. Her limp hands distended toward the small waves and then she went under.

41. Ghostly images floated before her eyes as the light over Sandie’s head flared and went out.

42. Darkness did not fall gently this day.

43. Lacey knew the moment she opened her eyes that something was wrong.

44. He brought four items to their first date: a spray of orange roses, because he knew they were her favorite flower; a duffle bag containing a change of clothing; three condoms to capture any stray DNA; and a freshly sharpened hunting knife.

45. That’s where the body is.

46. The warmth of the desert vanished under a shroud of bone-chilling twilight.

47. The man holding the gun to her head didn’t know what she was capable of.

48. Cold trembling fingers reached out to trace the letters engraved on the headstone, the chilly marble slab the only tangible link to the family Jolene still missed.

49. “Who—What—oh God!” Susan shouted, bolting up in bed.

50. Grace Carlton cocked the rifle and lodged it against her shoulder.

51. Even two hundred yards away in near-whiteout conditions, Locklen Roane saw the red Accord careening too fast down Highway 145.

52. “They have a two-hundred thirty year head start and I thought I could find them?”

53. “I suppose there’s no turning back now,” Lady Emma Caulfield whispered.

54. She expected the ragged skeletons that thundered through the orchard on their will o’ the wisp chargers, expected the slow parade of pale eyed ladies with their gossamer hair and butterfly wings, expected even the raven with the broken tail feather that flew among them, darting and swooping through their insubstantial forms to send them whisking skyward like so much smoke, but the heavy hand on her shoulder, the warm breath tickling her ear and the soft, masculine voice whispering “Jane” – these were the trappings of nightmares, the first indication that her life was about to change for the worse.

55. The only super natural thing in this salt-water town is the crazy lady on Center Street who claims she can predict the future.

56. You knew Maudie Cooper was really dead when you read her funeral invite listed in the Boggy Bayou Chronicle, “The oldest family run newspaper in Louisiana,” or so they say.

57. I hissed when I saw it, my gut coiling, hide crawling in alarm.

58. The young prince was going to die.

59. If she’d been a bad girl when she had the chance, she probably wouldn’t be dying right now.

60. “I am the Keeper of Paradise, Purgatory and Hell.”

61. The hate mail started Monday morning.

62. Guilty or not, Leonardo faced a death sentence.

63. A lone figure stood in the shadows of an abandoned warehouse, watching.

64. A large eye gawked at Mae Simon.

65. I had boarded the boat for Hades.

66. My name is Isadora Macleod and I am haunted.

67. “He’s dying.”

68. Mardi Gras was in full celebration in New Orleans, but Alexander Xavier Montclair, one of the most eligible bachelors in the Queen City social circles, and by far the most handsome, found himself in very cold, very wintery, Charleston on a business trip.

69. A hand–oh God, she hoped it was a hand–gripped her ankle like a vise and tugged.

70. “Oh, hell,” Brit Roberts snapped when the ringing phone on her kitchen wall stopped her in her tracks at seven AM.

71. The fair crowd trickled in, trapping the Alabama mug between tightly pressed bodies, and Liberty Belle Tipton figured a whisper of air would have to fight for freedom.

72. “What do you mean, ‘You can’t be alone with me?'”

73. I will not bore you with the myriad details of precisely how my situation came to pass, and the various indignities of my day-to-day-existence.

74. “Have you ever had sex in an elevator?”

75. So very close, Nate Benson thought to himself, trying hard to keep his mind on the purchase contract he was proofing.

76. The blood on her hands trickled down between shaky fingers.

77. A political fundraiser was the last place to find Benicio Alvarez, so why was her ex in attendance?

78. “Even Jane Eyre found her Mr. Rochester.”

79. They had been in the interrogation room for twelve hours straight.

80. The Lord of Harmeswood was a madman and a murderer, and Alexandrina Whitsett was headed straight for his house.

Good Luck!

91 comments to “First Line Round Two!”

1. Kendra
    December 16th, 2008 at 6:47 am · Link

That’s where the body is.

Amelia’s stomach knotted as she trudged toward the recovery site, carefully watching where she placed her feet in the snow.

2. Sandy
    December 16th, 2008 at 7:30 am · Link

Traveling through time hurts, at least for the broker. But I’ve grown resistant to the pain and that makes my bounty hunting services invaluable.

3. Ginny Glass
    December 16th, 2008 at 8:07 am · Link

They had been in the interrogation room for twelve hours straight. He hadn’t left, not even to get coffee or a donut or to tag team in his partner for that whole good cop-bad-cop game.

4. Seana Stephens
    December 16th, 2008 at 8:15 am · Link

“Even Jane Eyre found her Mr. Rochester.” Lucy Bennett caressed the spine of Charlotte Bronte’s novel and released a sigh.

5. Margay Leah Justice
    December 16th, 2008 at 8:43 am · Link

Blind dates were the work of the devil, and Presley Gordon’s best friend was the devil’s apprentice. Oh, she might look innocent enough with those soulful eyes and that gentle demeanor, but Presley knew better.

6. Theresa
    December 16th, 2008 at 12:01 pm · Link

With anticipation fizzing through his veins””as effervescent as the finest batch of imported champagne””he plowed through the sprinkler mist dampening the walkway and took the steep steps to her porch two at a time.

7. Leigh
    December 16th, 2008 at 12:08 pm · Link

Well, that wasn’t exactly true — she and her brother, James, were returning from a weekend house party in Kent, and were about to drive past Harmeswood’s ancient moldering pile, but even that was too close for comfort.

8. Viv Arend
    December 16th, 2008 at 1:00 pm · Link

“Bastards,” she hissed as she inched forward in the inky darkness, aiming at where the table and chair used to sit.

9. Karin Tabke
    December 16th, 2008 at 4:50 pm · Link

Keep ’em comin’!

10. Cindy Carroll
    December 16th, 2008 at 6:42 pm · Link

If she’d been a bad girl when she had the chance, she probably wouldn’t be dying right now. It wasn’t supposed to happen like this.

11. trashyknits
    December 16th, 2008 at 7:12 pm · Link

It was going to be a dark and stormy night once Hurricane Lex stopped flirting with the coast and got his hands down Savannah’s pants. Teijon didn’t need Goodnight, Atlanta’s weather girl to tell him that, though.

12. Claire
    December 16th, 2008 at 9:08 pm · Link

Are you going to critique the ones what didn’t make it? I thought there were some good ones that got cut out.

13. Jenn!
    December 17th, 2008 at 7:25 am · Link

The blood on her hands trickled down between shaky fingers. Slowly, Marisol curled her fingers into fists, resting them on her knees, and looked down at the dead man before her.

14. Sophee Storm
    December 17th, 2008 at 7:36 am · Link

It may sound odd, but sometimes moments in life seem to have a distinct smell. At any moment, of any day, a plethora of aromas can summon a wealth of emotions and memories.

15. Sophee Storm
    December 17th, 2008 at 7:37 am · Link

Thanks Karin! This is so exciting!

16. Diane Garner
    December 17th, 2008 at 9:39 am · Link

The man slouched on the edge of the bed, his fingers clutching the deadly syringe hidden in his jacket pocket. Despite the timpani drum pounding in his chest and echoing in his ears, his face was expressionless.

17. Raine
    December 17th, 2008 at 11:45 am · Link

Darkness did not fall gently this day.

It scourged the land like a rolling plague, leaving shadow where there had been shapes””a predatory hunger not unlike his own.

18. Missy
    December 17th, 2008 at 12:35 pm · Link

Wow – there is some good stuff here. Good luck everyone and a special good luck to the judge who has to cull the this round it’s gonna be a tough one.

19. Karin Tabke
    December 17th, 2008 at 1:21 pm · Link

Claire, last year a few of the judges critiqued, but not all of them. I didn’t ask the first round judge to crit. It’s time consuming and doing 20 lines would have been asking a lot. Once we get down to culling 5 lines a week I’ll ask the judges but it’s up to them if they want to take the time.

All of that said, I hope they do, I really enjoyed that aspect of the contest!

20. Sandra A
    December 17th, 2008 at 3:04 pm · Link

His life consisted of death. In fact Lucas Sinclair knew many ways to die.

21. Randy Bruskrud
    December 17th, 2008 at 3:30 pm · Link

Looking back, my mid-life crisis began on a Tuesday in March, right there on aisle twelve of the local supermarket between the laxatives and the condoms. That’s the day I confronted an assortment of tampon boxes and wondered if my diminishing egg production warranted the forty-eight count economy size.

22. bria
    December 17th, 2008 at 4:27 pm · Link

I tried not to stare, but when his hand slid past her waist and over her hip, I slammed my locker shut and stormed off in the opposite direction.

23. Kaige
    December 17th, 2008 at 4:59 pm · Link

“What do you mean I’m not on your list?” Tomorrow’s final review deadline for the weekend Food section wouldn’t care that she’d made this reservation two weeks ago.

24. Terry Spear
    December 17th, 2008 at 5:01 pm · Link

Ephraim MacNeill would kill anyone who stood in his way. Still not believing his luck at locating Elizabeth’s current place of imprisonment, he feared the rumor a ruse, or worse””a calculated attempt to draw him into the spider’s web.

25. virna
    December 17th, 2008 at 6:55 pm · Link

Only a few cars remained outside “The Hood,” the Sacramento dance club Bryn Donovon and her best friend Christine Lucas had decided to try out along with a bunch of other college kids. Bryn pulled down her skirt and adjusted her blouse to make sure she was covered.

26. Brooke
    December 17th, 2008 at 7:55 pm · Link

So very close, Nate Benson thought to himself, trying hard to keep his mind on the purchase contract he was proofing. It was way too soon for celebrations.

27. June Love
    December 17th, 2008 at 8:49 pm · Link

A hand”“oh God, she hoped it was a hand”“gripped her ankle like a vise and tugged. Tina clung to the rope for dear life and winced when its nylon thread chafed her leather gloves, but her grit and determination was no match for the sheer force pulling her downward.

28. Jamie
    December 18th, 2008 at 4:23 am · Link

“They have a two-hundred thirty year head start and I thought I could find them?” Finn macc Liamór bit back an oath and the urge to hurl the fragile leather-bound journal across the quiet reading room of the Ruehl Institute in San Francisco where Niell and he had buried themselves for the past week.

29. Donna
    December 18th, 2008 at 8:52 am · Link

You knew Maudie Cooper was really dead when you read her funeral invite listed in the Boggy Bayou Chronicle, “The oldest family run newspaper in Louisiana,” or so they say.

There’d been talk, of course, someone said she was dead, but her obit never came out in the weekly rag till now.

30. Cathy
    December 18th, 2008 at 9:25 am · Link

The hate mail started Monday morning.
    If she’d known about it, Parker Kennard might have just stayed in bed–or at least stayed away from the office.

31. Liz
    December 18th, 2008 at 10:42 am · Link

A political fundraiser was the last place to find Benicio Alvarez, so why was her ex in attendance? Standing in the lobby of the ultra-exclusive restaurant, Veronica Thompson prayed he was a figment of her lustful imagination, but unfortunately he wasn’t.

32. Kristi
    December 18th, 2008 at 6:01 pm · Link

Jackson Taylor’s toes clenched as he came abruptly awake, the left side of his body shivering. A soft weight held his shoulder down, the feel of a woman’s curves pressing hard against his chest, keeping the right side delectably warm.

33. Colleen MacLeod
    December 18th, 2008 at 7:12 pm · Link

The young prince was going to die. When the angry mob of outlaws and outcasts finally realized who it was that had fallen into their clutches, they would tear the young nobleman to shreds, and there was nothing Shallah could do to prevent it.

December 18th, 2008 at 7:19 pm · Link

The fair crowd trickled in, trapping the Alabama mug between tightly pressed bodies, and Liberty Belle Tipton figured a whisper of air would have to fight for freedom. She watched Benton’s finest kick up a dust on the runway as the sizzle of cake batter meeting hot grease filled the cramped space behind her at the popular Funnel Cake and Cola stand.

35. Sherry Morris
    December 18th, 2008 at 7:46 pm · Link

I wish alcohol didn’t exist. I shook my head as I watched the chubby chick in the short skirt slurp the dredges from her half gallon carton of orange juice.

36. Carol
    December 18th, 2008 at 9:00 pm · Link

Karin,
    Thank you so much for this contest. I just realized I changed the first line of my entry and should be disqualified. I must have picked up the wrong story when I re-posted. I am sorry and will step down, according to the rules. Thanks again.
    Carol

37. Renee
    December 19th, 2008 at 9:05 am · Link

“What do you mean, ‘You can’t be alone with me?'” Saari planted her hands on the edge of the desk and leaned closer to her laptop’s webcam.

38. Mary Marvella
    December 19th, 2008 at 3:04 pm · Link

“Oh, hell,” Brit Roberts snapped when the ringing phone on her kitchen wall stopped her in her tracks at seven AM.Already late leaving for work, she turned away and reached for the doorknob, then paused at the second ring.

39. Mary Marvella
    December 19th, 2008 at 3:05 pm · Link

Man, I didn’t want to hit send without more opinions!

40. Tiffany G Lawson
    December 19th, 2008 at 10:41 pm · Link

Her limp hands distended toward the small waves and then she went under. McKee allowed the rope to pull her deeper, but it didn’t feel like the first time, it didn’t feel like the second time, it didn’t feel like part of the test.

41. Marilyn
    December 20th, 2008 at 10:42 am · Link

As one who didn’t make the cut, I have to admit I’m bummed. But c’est la vie. Admittedly I’d like to know why my line didn’t catch the judge’s eye, but I can understand how time consuming twenty crits would me.

Congrats to this round’s finalists. It’ll be interesting to watch the remainder of the contest.

Merry Christmas, everyone!