The Best Best Best News Ever!
March 7th, 2009
It didn’t take those newlyweds long.  I’m going to be a grandma!!!!   whoo hoo!!! I’m so happy and excited, I can’t stand it!!!!

So help!  I need a good granny name!!  The best name gets their choice of one of my books and a copy of MASTER OF CRAVING when it releases in May!

Grandma Karin*

38 comments to “The Best Best Best News Ever!”

March 7th, 2009 at 5:11 pm · Link

LaDonna’s grandkids call her Mimi. I like that.

Or they can combine your name and “ma” and come out with Karma. I can see you as Karma.

March 7th, 2009 at 5:12 pm · Link

Karma! Only from you, Edie. I love it! My friend Lee sugeested Gigi.

March 7th, 2009 at 6:08 pm · Link

Isn’t Gigi a southern name for grandma? I feel like I’ve heard it before. I do like it, but for you I like Karma. 😎

4. J. Carson Black
    March 7th, 2009 at 6:19 pm · Link

Whoa! That is so cool! How about Nana? That’s what my relatives in New Zealand call my auntie.

Or, Gorgeous?

Just picture that little one toddling over to you and saying, “Gorgeous! Gorgeous! I wuff you, Gorgeous!”

Why the hell not?

March 7th, 2009 at 6:42 pm · Link

Goddess! Karin, she can call you Goddess.

March 7th, 2009 at 6:42 pm · Link

Or he!

7. aj chase
    March 7th, 2009 at 7:28 pm · Link

My kids call my husbands parents the regular old grandma and grandpa, my mother grammy and my step-mom and dad nonny and grandpa nonny.

8. Charlotte Featherstone
    March 7th, 2009 at 7:35 pm · Link

This is such wonderful news, Karin! Congrats!

9. Laurie
    March 7th, 2009 at 7:52 pm · Link

Congrats, Karin! I’m so excited for you all! I have friends/family whose “grandma” names are Mimi, Yaya, Gram and Nan. I like Mimi, Gram and Nan best. My sil is Yaya – her granddaughter who’s now 3, couldn’t say Grandma – funnier yet is that the same granddaughter calls my brother “Bobo” – the names just stuck and now her brother calls them the same.

10. kh
    March 7th, 2009 at 10:47 pm · Link

wowo that is fantascitc news

tabby k

g to the k
    kt granny
    ma K
    Mama T
    Mama KT

11. Margaret
    March 8th, 2009 at 3:22 am · Link

Wow, you gals are quick with the names.
    The ones that I had have been used–Mimi, Nana (wasn’t that the name of the OES-Old English Sheepdog-in Peter Pan?) and Gram. But from the way I understand it, sometimes the kiddos comes up with their own name for their loving/lovely grandma.

12. ArkansasCyndi
    March 8th, 2009 at 6:47 am · Link

(I so want to win those books! LOL)

My mom is Memaw and my dad is Papaw.

My grandparents were always Grandma or granny and grandpa

I always called my dad’s mother “grandma” but the grandkids who came after me called her Mamie (her name)

My husband’s grandparents was “Ninny” and “Pa”

I like Nana and Pawpaw.

13. Cristina Machado
    March 8th, 2009 at 9:35 am · Link

Congrats, Karin, certainly, you will be a modern and charming grandma, but always with a maternal touch for to honour the family traditions. I like “Nonna”, is the name that the Italians give for his gradmas. Also is the name of ancient Roman goddess of destiny ( equivalent for the Greek Moira). A mix between lovely, hot Italian heart and magic, blessing destiny can be perfect for a master grandma !

14. Jaci Burton
    March 8th, 2009 at 11:08 am · Link

Congrats Karin! That’s awesome * grin *

My granddaughter calls me Mimi. I love it. And my husband is Papa.

I’m sure you’ll come up with something fun that fits you.

Grandkids are so exciting and so much fun. I’m so happy for you and for your kids!

15. Kristina Cook
    March 8th, 2009 at 11:18 am · Link

Congrats, Karin!! How exciting! My kids call my mom “Grammy.” That’s my favorite of the grandma nicknames. :o)

16. Amanda Murphy
    March 8th, 2009 at 12:06 pm · Link

I am nana, all the greats and great-greats get to be Grandma. My mom was Grandma Kathy to Alex, he picked that one himself.

17. RachG
    March 8th, 2009 at 12:40 pm · Link

I call one of my grandmother’s “Gram” and another “Grandmum”

CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby! 🙂 Always exciting! A lady I work with is having a grandaughter on Wednesday (planned c-section) and our entire office has had two different e-mails announcing the birth, but it’s so fun. We’ve all been fowarding names and stuff. So even though I don’t have kids (I’m 22!) I’m still kind of in on the fun!!

18. Raine
    March 8th, 2009 at 3:48 pm · Link

No suggestions, just a big smile and congratulations! 🙂

19. Brandy W
    March 8th, 2009 at 4:52 pm · Link

My kids decided what to call their grandparents regardless what they were called by the other grandkids. Hubby’s parents are Gramma and Popsi (cause he loves Pepsi). My parents are Nana and Papa by my kids and Nonni and Poppi by my brother’s daughter. I like Opi and Gi.

Congratulations 🙂

20. Greta
    March 8th, 2009 at 5:18 pm · Link

Congrats – Karin

I called my Grandmother “Gamma”. My sister whose a grandma goes by “Nana”.

Hope those help.

21. HollyD
    March 8th, 2009 at 5:23 pm · Link

Congrats! This baby is very lucky. Here’s nothing but the best of wishes for your daughter and her husband. They are about to receive the greatest gift in the world.

22. Theresa
    March 8th, 2009 at 5:24 pm · Link

Karin,

Congratulations that’s wonderful news. By brother couldn’t pronounce Grandma as a kid, so he called my mom’s mom Gabber–which stuck. She’s known far and wide as Gabber and wears the nickname with pride. Do you talk alot? 😆 the nickname sure fits her…out of the mouth of babes!

My Aussie nieces called my mom Nanna, while the ones from Nevada called her Grandma Washington (since she lived in Washington state–they called their other grandmother Grandma California)

23. J. Carson Black
    March 8th, 2009 at 6:09 pm · Link

Theresa – Aussie and NZ – they call their grandmothers “Nana” or “Nanna,” or in my aunt’s case, “Nanna-noo” because she’s the great grand nana.

24. Amy S.
    March 8th, 2009 at 6:27 pm · Link

My nieces and nephew call my mom mamaw.

March 9th, 2009 at 5:17 am · Link

Congratulations, Karin! That’s wonderful news.

My great nephew calls my sister ‘Ma’ and my mother ‘Meema’. Other than that, we just all went with Grandma. Whatever he/she calls you, it’ll be said with love. =o)

26. Karin Tabke
    March 9th, 2009 at 9:32 am · Link

Keep them coming!

27. Randy
    March 9th, 2009 at 10:43 am · Link

LOL. Wow…your joy fair LEAPT from the screen! Huge congratulations; I’m sure you must be thrilled. I’m in the camp that believes the best names are the ones the kiddies come up with themselves. Especially when they totally bastardize the one you try to get them to say. My SIL, who wanted to be “Grandma,” ended up with something sounding like “Guh-guh.”

28. Laurie K
    March 9th, 2009 at 11:02 am · Link

Congrats Karin!!!!
    We use Mimi or Nanny in our house
    Seems a lot of people do 😉

March 9th, 2009 at 1:02 pm · Link

Hot damn, Karin! I’m Mimi, but ya know that. My daughters are going to use it too, whenever their time rolls around. I’m so happy for you, I could bust! YAY! Tell the kiddies they did good! Whatever name you choose will fit just fine. Whoo Hoo! 🙂

30. Colleen MacLeod
    March 9th, 2009 at 3:31 pm · Link

Congratulations! The only thing that lept to my mind is “She Who Must Be Obeyed” because we all know granny rules! But that will be a bit difficult for a toddler to spit out, I guess…;o)
    Awesome news!

31. Ames
    March 9th, 2009 at 4:03 pm · Link

CONGRATS!!!!!!! I like Nana too!!

March 9th, 2009 at 5:21 pm · Link

Congrats my friend. I happen to like grandma myself, my grandson refers to my mom as Big Ma (and no she’s not over weight.)

I will tell you a cute story. My mother’s mother refused to be call grandma, she was ticked my mom made her a grandma (besides the fact she was pg before saying her vows – oh wait, that’s a family trait.) Anyway, she refused to allow anyone to call her or refer to her as grandma. She wanted to be known by her name. Which really was a bad move… for both my grandparents, because my grand mother’s name was Effie, or Fe. And my grandfather was Chappy. I swear this is the truth. Besides being in leg braces I wasn’t very good at talking and you’ve got it, yes my grandparents were called Crappy and PeePee by their not so eloquent grand daugher… me.

Aren’t you glad your name is Karin and hubby’s is Gary?

33. Nathalie
    March 9th, 2009 at 5:29 pm · Link

Aww, Congrats!!!
    Maybe the munchkin can call you Mami Karin? Nana is pretty cute too. In our family we also call our aunt, who is like a second mother to us, Mommy Mima; could be used for a grandma too.

34. Carol Luce
    March 9th, 2009 at 6:26 pm · Link

Karin, I’m so happy for you. Grandkids are the best! We have our kids just so we can have grandkids. The kids were no fun at all. But grandkids love you unconditionally, and you can spoil them rotten. Mine always got ice cream for breakfast. And when they reached the age of seven, they got a pocket knife and a bic lighter from their papa. Just kidding, but sorta true.

A name? Good ol’ Grams for you and Papa for hubby. I always wondered why grandparents wanted to be called something other than what they are. Proud grandparents.

35. kh
    March 9th, 2009 at 8:11 pm · Link

mimi
    nanna nana

tabby

36. kh
    March 10th, 2009 at 9:19 pm · Link

grammy
    grandma k

37. Sarah
    March 11th, 2009 at 7:16 pm · Link

Congrats!!
    My parents are: Grandmommy and Granddaddy

But there was a couple at my kids’ “Grandparents’ Day” at school called:
    No-no and Sure.

The grandma was “No-no,” and the grandpa was “Sure.”

Probably fitting, but not very fair — guys get to have all the fun. 😉

38. Elisabeth Naughton
    March 18th, 2009 at 1:52 pm · Link

This will teach me to take a blogging hiatus…

CONGRATULATIONS, Karin!!!!!!! I am so so SO happy for you. No wonder you’re in Sonoma celebrating!!