It’s Time To Hunker Down
April 20th, 2009

Play time is over. The visiting, the hanging out, the being lazy, the weekend escapes with the girls, and day trips with the hubster are over.  I have to write.  I have a book to turn in September 1st.  No extra time to squeak it in.  Nope, I gotta get it all done, and done well.  My last book was rushed. I had so many things going on around me it was hard to focus.  Not gonna happen this time.  I need to take care of what is in front of me, not what I think might be ahead of me.  I have, after all, been paid for this book.  So, today, I officially begin MASTER OF DECEPTION, book four in the Blood Sword Legacy series.

I’ll have five straight hours on the plane to write Wednesday as I jet off to Orlando for the Romantic Times convention.  I’ll have another five straight hours coming home on Sunday.  I’m going to write until my fingers fall off.  My writing goal for today is 2 K words.  I’m going to check in at every 500 words.  Public accountability works for me.

How about you?  When you set a goal do you do it publicly and feel the pressure or do it privately and still fee the self-imposed pressure?

Karin*

14 comments to “It’s Time To Hunker Down”

1. Sharon Cullen
    April 20th, 2009 at 10:17 am · Link

I’ve done both. The pressure is the same on either. Good luck!

2. Mary
    April 20th, 2009 at 11:20 am · Link

you go girlfriend – we have faith in you LOL

Too bad ya can’t head a little further north before you head back to sunny ca.

April 20th, 2009 at 12:26 pm · Link

so, i haven’t written one word yet. but plan to. really. i do.

April 20th, 2009 at 12:50 pm · Link

Good for you, Karin! I should be writing my 2K today too. I couldn’t concentrate. I’ll write 1K and make up for the other 1K tomorrow.

5. Erika
    April 20th, 2009 at 2:32 pm · Link

I guess it depends on the goal whether or not I’m going to go public with it. I started Weight Watchers a couple of weeks ago, there is no way I’d make that goal public. Ain’t happenin’. A word count goal? I might do that.

6. HollyD
    April 20th, 2009 at 4:17 pm · Link

I’m happy to hear there’s going to be more books in the Sword series. Good luck w/ your goals. I’m amazed 2000 words in one day. The most I’ve ever written in one day is 1000 and that was just short of a miracle.

7. Charlotte Featherstone
    April 20th, 2009 at 4:25 pm · Link

Good luck, Karin. M of D will rock! I know it!

I’m with you. I need to write 26oo words per day to make my first draft deadline of May 3. It’s coming…

But I don’t even want to think about word count per day for Sinful. ACK! I’m SO behind on that book

8. Elisabeth Naughton
    April 20th, 2009 at 5:59 pm · Link

You inspired me. And your twitter word count update made me way too competitive. Passed 2K a few minutes ago. Have to go feed gremlins then I’m back to writing. Hoping to finish chapter three tonight.

My deadline isn’t until 12/1 but I want this 2nd paranormal done before we go to Hawaii in Oct. so I can then work on the new proposal for the next book after we get back.

April 20th, 2009 at 6:57 pm · Link

I like telling others my goals and being held accountable.

10. Karin Tabke
    April 20th, 2009 at 6:58 pm · Link

Eli i’m going to up you 500 words!

11. Elisabeth Naughton
    April 20th, 2009 at 7:57 pm · Link

Oooh…the competition’s on.

12. Karin Tabke
    April 21st, 2009 at 12:12 am · Link

i crashed and burned at 2073. but i would not have written any of those if I had not publicly challenged myself! tomorrow only 500 words. I have lots of packing and stuff to do!

Ladies? Writing goals for tomorrow??

April 21st, 2009 at 4:13 am · Link

I have faith in you.

No new word goals for me at the moment, even though I committed myself to writing 50K words this month. Halfway in, I got stuck. Still, I’m chugging along on the editing for another book, so it’s not all bad. And sooner or later, I’ll get unstuck. It’s just one of those things.

Keep up the good words.

14. Charlotte Featherstone
    April 21st, 2009 at 4:23 am · Link

Today’s goal…2600, and then tightening the previously written 2600.