DC and RWA in July!
July 15th, 2009

The weather is amazing, the hotel grand, and the company stimulating.

And I’m such a dork!  Everyone kept saying there was no internet in the rooms.  I believed them.  Until, late last night I saw an Ethernet cable on the desk in my room!  Voila!

I flew out at the butt crack of dawn Monday morning with my friend Lisa Hughey. By the time we got to the hotel late that afternoon we were pretty wiped out.  We had a nice dinner at the Stone’s Throw then hit the sack! I slept in  J Poor Lisa and Sophie had to get up for the KOD tour of the State Department and the Post Office.  I languished in bed, got up around 11, took a shower and moseyed on down to the lobby to check into my own room, which is in the original part of the hotel.  After I put my things away, I went downstairs to have a smoke.  YES!  I did quit!  But I had to buy a pack for National!!

But I swear, between Rocki, Sylvia and Josie giving me the evil eye each time I excuse myself from their most bodacious company, it makes a girl not want to have a smoke!  But, I always meet such great gals out there.  For instance, I met Debbie who is here for a teacher’s conference.  She’s an English teacher, her hubby is a retired cop and well, for two hours we sat out front and enjoyed conversation while I watched everyone huff and puff up the hill to the hotel.

Last night I had dinner with Sylvia, Shelley Bradly, Nikki Duncan, Mel Schroeder, LKap, Vicki, and Josie.  Then Syl and I ordered more drinks and took off for the lounge, yanno to see and be seen. We were immediately mauled by Eileen Rendahl and Rocki St. Claire, who we partied with.  There was more squeeing when Cindy Gerard and I saw each other at the same exact time.  Her and Gennita Low slid their chairs over and we all had a very merry time.  Maya (Banks) managed to break out from her room and the party got better.  We didn’t come up until almost 3 and Josie and I were up chatting until after 4.

We woke up at 11!  Ordered room service.  While Josie was getting ready for her lunch date, I was lounging in bed drinking coffee and nibbling on eggs benedict.  I’m still in bed, drinking coffee!  I suppose I should get a shower and head on down to check in for the con and see everyone as they come in, but…it’s so nice not to have to do anything for anyone.

Eventually I’ll need to get my ass in gear.  I meet with my editor at 3, the lit signing is at 5:30, then dinner with my editor, then back here to partay!  I doubt I’ll begetting up early Thursday, Friday or Saturday, but I’ll check back in tomorrow.

How’s everyone????

Karin*

12 comments to “DC and RWA in July!”

1. Munk
    July 15th, 2009 at 12:27 pm · Link

lonely….
    Glad your having a good time!

2. Jody
    July 15th, 2009 at 12:50 pm · Link

You sound like you’re having way too much fun. I think I need to come over there and help you restrain yourself.

BTW, check your email….

July 15th, 2009 at 1:24 pm · Link

Sounds like a blast, Karin. I lunched with Jody Allen from my WisRWA group today. No booze, but I enjoyed myself.

4. Fedora
    July 15th, 2009 at 7:31 pm · Link

Have a fabulous time!!! Thanks for keeping us up to date 😉

July 16th, 2009 at 4:34 am · Link

Sounds like loads of fun. Enjoy. I’m getting some writing done, but other than that and living vicariously through all the conference attendees, it’s same ol’ same ol’ here.

July 16th, 2009 at 5:42 am · Link

Munky 🙁 I wish you were here.

Jody, I’m having a blast! I have over 500 emails! Will find yours. 🙂

Edie, we’re having fun. Wish you were here!

Hey, Fedora!

Beth, write on!

7. Patricia Barraclough
    July 17th, 2009 at 8:11 pm · Link

Sounds like you are having a great time. Gee, I’ll have to become a writer so I can go to these conventions too.

8. Eileen Rendahl
    July 19th, 2009 at 7:41 pm · Link

Okay. So I mauled you. But it was with love! 🙂

9. Lisa Hughey
    July 20th, 2009 at 9:38 am · Link

Actually I think the pickup at 3 am Sunday morning was the true butt crack of dawn, although since we never went to sleep we didn’t have to get up 🙂

July 20th, 2009 at 12:25 pm · Link

Eileen, baby! I loved your mauling. hubster was just sad he couldn’t be there to watch.

And Lisa, 3 a.m. was the but crack of something!

Patricia, get writing!

11. Gennita Low
    July 23rd, 2009 at 4:01 pm · Link

I can’t believe I didn’t take a pic with you! It was so fun meeting you and I had a blast every time we bump into each other ;-).

12. Karin Tabke
    July 23rd, 2009 at 4:32 pm · Link

Hey! Gennita I was looking for you! emailing now.