MIA »

Starting To Feel Human Again
September 9th, 2009

Blindsided with a raging case of bronchitis complete with fever! What a lousy way to end a great trip!  Today is the first day I’ve actually had energy since Saturday.  I’m fortunate that my kids and hubby are self-sufficient.  I went straight to bed from the airport on Sunday and have spent most of my time there since.  At one point, I actually went 36 hours w/o checking email or even giving a thought to a computer.  Then when I did, I only half remember some of the emails I read.  So, um if you emailed me and I haven’t returned it by now?  It was lost during the delirium.  Resend please.

So, to catch up:  The retreat was great.  I needed a change of scenery to get back on track with this L.O.S.T. book.  I needed to focus and hone my hero, which I did in spades.  Shelley and Sylvia were great help as we walked the lake.  I also found a song that epitomizes him.  I’ll share that later.

I also tweaked my para trilogy proposal that my agent is going wide with this week.  It occurred to me this morning that we’ve never gone wide with anything of mine.  It’s scary, thrilling and nerve-wracking all at the same time, but I am excited and hopeful an editor will fall madly in love with my characters and their plight and rush to pick up the series.  It deserves a good home. It has to sell. I want to tell this story.

Another highlight of the trip was meeting the delightful Bonnie H, a reader and a writer who is going to get her ass in gear and get her work out there.  Right, Bonnie????  She was a breath of fresh air on a muggy day, and I wish I had felt better when we met her.  By the time Lauren Dane popped in Saturday night, I was pretty much out of it.  I did come out of my cave to say hello, and stir up some stuff before going back to bed.  J  Lord only knows what she must think of me.  I hope she considers the fact I was on drugs, in pain, and fever laden before she answers someone who asks her, “So what did you think of that Tabke chick?”

I have to admit, for six women with six different personalities and varying diet requirements and sleeping requirements and temperature requirements and noise level requirements (see where I’m going with this?) we did ok.  Beth took charge as mommy, and I’m glad she did.  She was the bestest mom. The bestest mom at a personal sacrifice to herself.  She was the driver, and as such had to make all of the trips, even the 5 a.m. run to the airport Sunday morning, then back for the rest of us.  I need to send Beth some flowers.  She was a trooper.

All in all, a great time.  The retreat served all of it’s intended purpose for me:  I came up with a fresh approach to my story, got to hang with like minds, and learned a few new tricks.

Now?  I need to put this nose to the grindstone and get writing.  My Nov 1 deadline is fast approaching.

What deadlines do you have looming and how close are you to meeting them??

Karin*

12 comments to “Starting To Feel Human Again”

1. HollyD
    September 9th, 2009 at 4:02 pm · Link

I’m glad you’re feeling better. I don’t have any deadlines, just the day to day stuff.

I’m halfway through my wip and one of my critique partners says that since I have the elements in place to change it from mystery to thriller, and changing pov. I’m going to have to think about that. I’m not sure I have what it takes or if I want to make those kind of changes.

September 9th, 2009 at 5:31 pm · Link

So glad you’re feeling human again. I know zombies are in style, but it’s no fun feeling like one.

I have a self-imposed deadline of 10K for this week. I’m behind, but I’m making my goal today.

3. Patricia Barraclough
    September 9th, 2009 at 5:50 pm · Link

You have certainly had a run of bad luck in the health department. Hope your eye has completely healed. The week sounds like it was successful, except for flattening you. Glad you are your way to recovery.
    No real deadlines. We leave on vacation in 2 1/2 weeks, so I’m trying to get things finished up at work and get things ready at home.
    Take good care of yourself and good luck with the books.

4. Mary
    September 10th, 2009 at 4:30 am · Link

So glad you are feelin better! Got some exciting new about your oldest nephew, if I remember I will have to give you a call (I am sooooo bad at that). No deadlines cause I am not a writer but a reader LOL. Anywho got to ask what do you think about the AI news? We need a blog with your opinions.

5. Margaret
    September 10th, 2009 at 6:06 am · Link

Glad you’re feeling better, Karin!
    I suck at my personal deadlines, so I discovered Random.org–yep, it generates a number that is my daily goal.
    CRAP! 2398 words are due today. Better get to writing!

6. Jane
    September 10th, 2009 at 10:34 am · Link

Glad to hear you’re feeling better.

7. Bonnie H
    September 10th, 2009 at 10:40 am · Link

Hi Karin! *waves* Yay that you’re feeling better, bronchitis sucks >.<
    Oooohh I’m so excited about your new stuff!! *fingers crossed* and prayers going up that it find the right home 😀
    And Karin, meeting y’all ranks as one of my favorite memories ever – what a gracious, beautiful lady you are – and yes, my ass is in gear!! And I’m excited, which I haven’t been able to say in a while re: my writing so THANK YOU for the inspiration and motivation *hugs*

8. Jill James
    September 10th, 2009 at 8:28 pm · Link

I have a personal deadline of Sept. 30th and I’m only 1/4 there. So, my nose to the grindstone too. Even personal deadlines must be met. LOL

9. Jody
    September 11th, 2009 at 12:25 am · Link

I’ve decided to complete at least 30 humorous essays (I’m more than halfway there) in time to put them together in book form by the holidays. This is just something I’m going to self-print and send to people as a gift. I also think I’ll make the book available on my online store. After a month-long ‘dry spell’ (it just wasn’t a funny month), I’m back to being able to find amusement in life.

And Karin, sorry to hear you were feeling puny and hopeful that you’ll be back to 100% soon. I don’t think you missed any emails from me, but I did send you a friend request on Crackbook. Margaret finally lured me over to the dark side 🙂

10. Liz Kreger
    September 11th, 2009 at 1:49 pm · Link

Glad to hear you’re doing better, Karin. Yeah, you were pretty quiet on the email front. 😆

Excitin’ stuff about your L.O.S.T. series. Lookin’ forward to them. As far as projects, just finished the edits for my vamp story and want to send it to a beta reader who I know will give me an honest read. Have to read another older work of mine and figure out what’s wrong with it and then I can give myself permission to work on an UF that I’ve been dying to get to.

Whew! I’m already exhausted.

11. Fedora
    September 15th, 2009 at 12:14 pm · Link

Eek! Glad you’re feeling better, Karin! The current deadline is to outwash the laundry pile 😉

September 15th, 2009 at 4:33 pm · Link

Karin, so sorry you got the ick! But glad you’re on the mend. Your trip sounded so fun, and I’m glad you’ve got a para proposal making the rounds. Crossing my fingers for you!

I’m on a self-imposed deadline with edits and WIP, but it’s been a busy last two weeks and I need to play catch-up.